Rook and Expert Marksmanship

You sit at one of the benches in the school courtyard, working on a new sketch. SDC is approaching soon and you want to draw when you can. Though you start to grow increasingly frustrated as the sketch isn't turning out how you want it. You close your sketchbook in a huff and set it next to you on the bench.

"What's the matter, ma belle?"

Glancing up, you see Rook approaching. You sigh. "It's just this drawing I'm trying to do. I'm not liking how it's looking and it's bothering me."

"Ah, so you are an artist. Tu es tellement incroyable." Rook reaches out a hand. "May I?"

You shrug. "Sure."

Rook lifts up your sketchbook and flips through the pages. He marvels at every drawing he sees. "These are truly beautiful, Y/N. Full marks across the board!"

You laugh. "Thanks, Rook. I'm just stuck that last one."

Rook flips to the most recent sketch and glances it over. He hums as he thinks. "I love the work you've done so far though I do notice it lacks focus."

You quirk an eye. "Since when are you an art expert?"

He only laughs. "I strive to learn everything there is to beauty. The arts is something I've learned a few things about."

You rest your chin against your hand. "Well, I'm not sure how to fix my sketch. I'm not in a very 'focused' mood."

"I have the perfect solution for you!" Rook takes your hands in his. "I can teach you archery."

You quirk an eye. "How will that help me?"

"Simple. In order to hit the target, one must be entirely focused."

"Okay. Guess I can try it."

Rook takes you to the gym field. He set up a target for you to hit. He hands you a bow. "Let's start with the basics first."

Rook shows you how to hold the bow properly. You pull the string back a couple times to get used to the feeling. Rook than hands you an arrow.

"Try to hit the target. You just place the arrow like this." Rook shows you how to hold the arrow with the bow.

It was tricky at first, the arrow kept moving to the side, making Rook laugh. "Here, let me show you."

Rook steps behind you. Gently guiding your hands into the correct position. You can feel the warmth of Rook's breath as he helps you pull back the string, your body pressed against his.

"Now just focus on the target... aim slightly higher than where you want the arrow to land."

Your heart races as you feel how close Rook is. His strong arms wrapped around you as he helps with your stance. You could feel the heat of his body against yours, sending shivers down your spine. Your cheeks flush pink as you try to concentrate on hitting the target. You let the arrow go and the sound of the arrow whooshing through the air fills your ears.

The arrow cuts through the air. You watch as it sails over the target completely and strikes the grass.

"I missed."

Rook chuckles. "That's quite alright. No one can get it straight away. That's why we practice to perfect our art, no?"

You smile. "Yeah. You're right."

"Give it another go." Rook hands you another arrow. "Don't just pay attention to the target, pay attention to your surroundings."

You nock the arrow and pull the string back, focusing on every detail. You feel the power coming from the string. The gentle breeze blowing your air. You take a deep breath, and let the arrow go.

It feels like time slowed down. You watch as the arrow sails through the air and strikes the bottom of the target.

Your eyes widen. "I did it. I did it!" You bounce on your toes. "I can't believe I did it!"

Rook laughs at your excitement. "Truly an excellent improvement, Y/N."

You throw your arms around him. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"What for, ma belle?" Rook smiles as he wraps his arms around your waist.

"I was able to focus on my surroundings like you said! Now I understand what that means for my art!"

"C'est vraiment merveilleux, ma belle!" Rook laughs. "I'm glad I could teach you something about beauty."

After a couple of more tries, you feel confident enough to go back to your sketch. You hand Rook back the bow.

"Thank you, Rook. You're an excellent teacher."

He waves a hand. "Think nothing of it. I love being able to teach others about the beauty in the world."

"Well, I appreciate you taking the time to help me." You give Rook another hug.

The boy smiles as he holds you close. "Of course, ma belle."