A Late Night Surprise

You walk down one of the halls in the Scarabia dorm. You just got back from your magic carpet ride with Kalim.

Grim pumps his fists in the air. "Man, that was a BLAST!"

You laugh. "That was really fun."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." Kalim smiles broadly. "Goodness, though, it's already dinnertime."

"Kalim!"

Turning around, you spot Jamil running down the hall to you. "You're finally back. I'd like to review something before dinner. Could you join me for a moment?"

Kalim nods. "Sure thing. Y/N, you and Grim can just make yourselves comfortable in the lounge."

"Okay. See you guys there." You wave to the two boys.

Kalim waves cheerfully as Jamil drags him along. You walk alongside Grim to the lounge. You push the large doors and step into the bustling room. Scarabia students relax on the cushions.

"I'm famished. What's for dinner tonight?"

"Our special training today was rough, huh?"

Grim jumps onto a plush pillow and sighs. "Ramshackle Dorm gets a cold breeze blowin' in through cracks in the walls. Compared to that, this place is paradise. And Kalim's a real pal. I oughta join Scarabia!"

You nod as you sit down beside him. "Yeah, it is pretty nice here."

The doors to the lounge open and Jamil walks in with Kalim, though he sorta looks off. Instead of his usual smile and light in his eyes, Kalim doesn't seem to focus on anything and his smile is replaced with a frown.

"Is everyone present?" Jamil asks. "The housewarden has an announcement for you before we eat."

Kalim steps forward. He doesn't say anything until Jamil nudges him. "I decreed that the students of Scarabia would stay in the dorm over winter break for a voluntary six hours of daily studying, if you recall. But I've realized something. That's nowhere NEAR enough!"

Everyone gasps at what the Housewarden says. Jamil tilts his head, confusion in his eyes. "Kalim? I thought you were going to send the students home."

Grim stands in his pillow. "That's practically the complete opposite of what you said before!"

You stand from your seat. "Kalim, what has gotten into you?"

Kalim narrows his eyes. "A mere six hours a day won't be anywhere near enough to close the gap between our dorm and the others. We must work twice, no, FIVE times as hard as the others to drag ourselves out from dead last in grades! Starting tomorrow, I'm tasking all of you with five hours of study time and four hours of practical training each day."

"You're giving 'em NINE HOURS of training a day?" Grim says in shock.

"There will be a defense magic training drill after dinner." Kalim folds his arms. "Eat up and ready yourselves!"

The gathered students look to one another, shocked and confused. "Y-yes, sir!"

Kalim turns to you. "Y/N. Grim, since you two are visiting, your participation is mandatory! Is that clear?"

Grim's eyes widen. "Whaaa? Why do we hafta join in?"

You step forward and put a hand on Kalim's shoulder. "Kalim, what's going on?"

Kalim shrugs off your hand. "I'm doing what I should've been doing from the start."

"But, what you said before-"