A Trip to The Ocean

Epel walks down Main Street, kicking at the ground. "Now everything's a doozy of a mess. This is all because that Dark Mirror plunked me into Pomefiore..."

Epel stands in front of the Fair Queen's statue. He stares up at the regal figure. He sighs. "I don't understand a lick of Vil's gobbledygook. What am I supposed to do now?"

The sound of a roaring engine gets ever closer. Epel turns around just as a blastcycle screeches to a halt right beside him. The rider takes off his helmet and reveals himself to be Deuce.

"There you are, Epel."

"Deuce?" Epel says in surprise. "What are you doing with that blastcycle?"

"Ignihyde Dorm's using this one for their presentation. They let me used it before when I took Y/N out to the cliffs." Deuce tosses Epel a helmet. "Let's go for a little ride, shall we?"

The blastcycle screeches to a halt in the sand. They stopped on a beach close to the other side of the island. The sun almost dipping into the ocean, casting the waters in beautiful shades of the sunset.

Deuce takes his helmet off. "Okay. We're here."

Epel shakily hops off the blastcycle. "You're more of a speed demon than I expected, Deuce. That scared me at first."

"Really? I mean, I thought I was going pretty slow." Deuce runs the back of his neck. "Er, y'know what? Forget I said anything. Anyway, Ignihyde sure knows how to trick out a blastcycle. It was hard just figuring out what all those different functions did."

Epel chuckles. "Well, I'm feeling better already! I love going out on drives. Are you sure this was a good idea, though? You went off-campus without getting permission first."

Deuce's eyes grow large. "It didn't even occur to me to ask for permission until we were already out. Will you help take some of the heat off me later?"

"Vil and the others must be furious." Epel looks out to the ocean.

The rhythmic sound of waves crashing against the shore created a soothing symphony, while seagulls glided effortlessly through the salty sea breeze. The ocean stretching out to the endless horizon.

Epel sighs. "You know, I think this is the first trip I've made to the beach since coming to this island."

Deuce nods. "We're on the Isle of Sages, but Night Raven College sits atop a mountain on the north side."

"And Royal Sword Academy sits along the southern coast, right? Wait..." Epel points to a large castle at the end of the beach.

The castle looks similar to Night Raven College but looks like the complete opposite. Its walls are white and blue tiles line the roofs. The two buildings are like night and day.

"Is that Royal Sword Academy there?" Epel stares at the magnificent building. "Wow... It's a school, but it looks more like a castle for kings and queens."

"I've seen it from the Night Raven observation deck, but never up close before." Deuce puts his hands to his hips. "That place really is fancy."

Epel tilts his head. "My teammates in the Spelldrive Club say it's a place full of snotty, pampered rich boys... But that's also the school Neige goes to, and he's competing in the SDC, right?"

Deuce doesn't answer. He instead looks to the ocean and takes a deep breath. "I'M NEVER GONNA KNUCKLE UNDER, YOU HEAR ME?"

Epel steps back in shock. "What's wrong, Deuce? Why are you yelling-"

"I'M NOT A SMART GUY, AND I CONSTANTLY MISS BASIC CUES!"

Epel goes quiet.

"ALL MY OLD DELINQUENT HABITS ARE STILL THERE! I'VE GOT A HAIR-TRIGGER TEMPER! BUT I'M TRYING MY BEST, OKAY? YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE FUN OF ME, ACE? WELL, THINK AGAIN! ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GONNA BE A REAL HONORS STUDENT, AND YOU'LL BE EATING MY DUST FOR THREE MEALS A DAY! I'M GONNA CHANGE! YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT!"