The Magic Dispelled

"Y/N... Y/n!"

You blink open your eyes. Slowly sitting up, you rub your head. You're almost knocked back over from the hug attack from Kalim.

Now I know what that feels like...

"Y/N! You're okay!" Kalim cries out.

You giggle and hug him back. "Yeah. I'm okay."

Jamil let's put a groan and sits up. "What happened?"

Floyd pries Kalim off you and Jade helps you stand. Azul grins at Jamil. "Good. You've regained your senses."

Grim shivers. "Mrah... That monster's gonna be hauntin' me in my dreams."

Jamil slowly stands stands as Kalim approaches him. Kalim punches Jamil's arm, though he hit pretty lightly. "That was for betraying me!" Kalim then hug attacks him. "And that's for everything else."

Jamil freezes in his grip. Tears form in Kalim's eyes. "I-I'm so glad you're alive... so glad..."

Jamil rolls his eyes. "Must you always be so dramatic?"

"I never knew how miserable you were all this time. A-all this time..." Kalim sniffs. "never knew just how much I put you through..."

Azul folds his arms. "Which led to this spectacular betrayal."

"Yuuup." Floyd grins. "Sea Snake's been mocking Sea Otter beneath his breath for pretty much their whole lives!"

Grim rolls his eyes. "Geez, and you guys say I'M blunt."

Kalim nods into Jamil's shoulder. "Y-yes, you're... kind of a jerk. But you're still the guy who's helped me all my life." Kalim pulls away and looks to Jamil. "So let's just stop. We can stop holding back on account of our social status."

Jamil tilts his head. "What?"

"Starting today, we can be rivals that compete in earnest for the spot of number one. I want us to be equals..." Kalim looks hopefully to Jamil. "and I want us to be friends, Jamil."

"Equals? And friends?" Jamil chuckles. "Why am I not surprised that's what you got out of this, Kalim? Then let me say this as one equal to another... Not on your life!"

Everyone was taken aback by Jamil. Kalim's eyes widen.

"You thoughtless, sloppy, idiotic, clumsy, ludicrously oblivious, arrogant, indelicate, pampered little rich boy!" Jamil throws. "Who in their right mind would ever voluntarily be your friend?! What's in it for me now? Nothing! And that's what I want, nothing to do with you!"

Grim nudges your leg with a paw. "Yeesh. He must be feelin' better, 'cause he sure ain't pullin' any punches."

You rub the back of your neck. "He really is a wolf in sheep's clothing."

Azul grins and waves a hand. "And what's wrong with that? I like the authentic Jamil much more, as a matter of fact."

"Your ingratiating smile is grossing me out." Jamil groans.

"I'll admit, I've been curious about you ever since we were freshmen." Azul smirks at Jamil.

"You don't say." Jamil folds his arms.

"You did a bit too good of a job avoiding the spotlight." Azul continues. "It backfired and piqued my interest. See, you never got any outstanding marks, whether in the classroom or in practical studies. But at the same time, you never got a negative mark in any class. Ever. It came across like you were maintaining a consistent five out of ten across the board. There was no way it could be unintentional."

Azul grins. "I've always had an inkling there was more to it. And it finally clicked for me when I heard Y/N and Grim's story."

Jade brings a hand to his chin and nods. "That makes sense. Azul is close to the top of his whole class year in Potionology, but you'd find his marks in Flight class closer to the bottom of the charts."

"That's kinda extreme in its own way, y'know." Grim adds.

"My suspicions were confirmed when I joined you for that Mancala game the other night." Azul tilts his head. "You maintained a perfectly balanced win/loss ratio to keep from throwing Floyd into a rage."

Floyd's eyes widen in surprise. "Whoa, for real? You can do that?"

"If you throw too much, it becomes obvious." Azul explains. "And if you win by too much, it sours the opponent's mood. There's an art to feigning defeat. You have to tune it just right. It requires considerable skill and mental fortitude to pull off."

"Meanwhile, you wiped the floor with me and didn't even try to go easy, Azul!" Grim growls indignantly.

Azul chuckles and ignores the cat. "I knew I had you sussed, Jamil. Your true capabilities are nothing short of astounding!"

Kalim moves to stand next to you, smiling broadly. "I know, right?! Jamil really is something special!"

"You know," Azul smirks. "I think you'd get along far better with someone like me than with Kalim. How about it? Care to transfer to Octavinelle? You could join forces with me and make a name for yourself."

"Not on your life." Jamil rolls his eyes. "And where do you get off, monologuing at me out of nowhere? You couldn't sound shadier if you tried! I will be perfectly content never being friends with you, Azul."

"Goodness. That's a rather stinging rebuke." Jade grins.

Azul chuckles. "I don't mind. I've added a new truth to my secret collection today, so I'll call it even."

Floyd smirks. "Your secret collection of other people's weaknesses, you mean."

Jamil scoffs. "You can't call it a weakness when it's already been aired to the whole world. There will be no more holding back for me. Not against Kalim, or the rest of you, or anyone. I'm never throwing another competition again."

Kalim smiles. "Good! But I won't lose, either!"

You shake your head and laugh. "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

After everyone has gone to bed, Grim sneaks out of the room and down the hall. Sniffing the ground as he trots into the lounge.

"Black stone... I smell a black stone in this room..." Grim spies his treasure. "Aha!"

Grim picks up a black crystal. "There it is... There it is!" Grim laughs as he shoves the stone into his mouth. "Ooh... Spicy, but with a mellow, rich flavor. Maaan, I scarfed that down way too fast. I'm still hungry... I want more black stones."