| 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗 |

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX...

Kate was baking inside her house while Rome sat on the sofa in the corner of the room on his iPad watching Peppa Pig

Kate was baking inside her house while Rome sat on the sofa in the corner of the room on his iPad watching Peppa Pig. Over the last couple of months, news of the infamous new disease outbreak in China spread all over the world, and Kate's anxiety was rising by the minute.

The flour and other ingredients stained her white marble countertops and floors. Suddenly, as she was placing the sugar cookies into the oven, she heard the front door unlock. She knew it was okay and turned back to what she was doing because it had been locked and only a select few people had a key: Mara, Aubrey, Kris, and Kylie.

And when she felt his built arms wrap around her waist as she mixed more batter, she of course knew who it was. "I sat 'Don by Ro." He kissed the side of her head, his Toronto accent thick as she hummed in response and leaned back into him. She loved it, especially when he felt comfortable enough to not keep his American talk-show accent on. "We need to talk about...having you guys stay with us up in Toronto."

"But I don't want to be away from my mom..." Katherine sighed. "And what about my sisters?"

"You can't be here by yourself, Kate." He shook his head, making sure that the boys were distracted talking to each other—well, Adonis was talking and Rome was cutely nodding along—before turning her around so she was leaning back against the counter with her hands on his biceps. They didn't want to send the wrong message to the boys, even though Aubrey was basically a father to Rome. They weren't currently in any sort of a romantic relationship, and there was no indication that they would be any time soon, even after their drug-fueled moment that they had "forgotten" about and swept under the rug.

"But..." Kate sighed as she eyed the boys. "I'll just be so far away from everyone."

She knew she couldn't do this on her own, and she needed to have that extra person to help with her child around the house. On a daily basis, she was around her mother or one of her sisters, and she never went more than a couple days without seeing them. To be kept in a house by herself? She would drive herself crazy, especially since all of her sisters had partners to keep them company—even their mother. Why shouldn't she be allowed to be with someone she cared about as well?

"I know." He nodded understandingly and took her hands. "But you can't be here alone for an indefinite amount of time. And I don't think I can stay away from you that long either, baby."

She couldn't help but blush at the nickname, smiling when he kissed her hands. "It could go on for a year Kate. A year. Five years. Ten for all I care. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Fuck not being dramatic, would you be able to go that long without seeing me?"

Her head and her heart immediately knew her answer. "Aubrey. It's me being away from my family for a long time. Give me a minute, okay?" Kate sighed as she turned away and went to grab the boys some of the spaghetti she had just cooked, putting some of the tomato sauce she had just simmered on top and setting the "Paw Patrol" themed bowls in front of them.