Chapter 16

Contrary to my thoughts after Reaper's conversation, I prayed in my room. Stopping from one day to the next didn't work. It was a slow process, one whose gears had now started to turn.

Before, prayer had been easy for me, the words came easily and without much thought. Today I thought about how I directed my thoughts to God, what I asked him for. Even the Bible, Ash had brought it for me a few days ago, knowing that I missed and needed it, I had closed it after a few minutes. The doubts in my mind as I skimmed the lines didn't sit well with me and I felt uncomfortable afterwards that this natural ritual was a hurdle for me this morning.

The rest went as smoothly and casually as every day.

My shift in the bar today consisted of kitchen duty for a change. Correy was down with a cold. By helping him out at the stove again and again, I proved that I had mastered the art of cooking - a natural talent. Just like with a lot of household chores. However, I classified my work in the kitchen more as a passion, an occupation full of lifeblood.

"¡Ay Dios mio!" Carlo's groan filled the room after he stepped out of the meeting room. Followed by the other men.

Because of the meeting, it was easy for me to prepare the orders, there were hardly any guests in the bar and the club members were busy. After the meeting, most of them disappeared, some took a seat at the bar for one last beer.

"I've heard that our little angel is going to be the kitchen fairy today," grinned the South American.

With a smile, I put a club sandwich down for Mandy, even she hadn't been to dinner yet. "You picked it up right."

My attention now shifted to Vice and Rage, who were both sitting down on the bar stools. "What do you want?"

"Give me something with meat. I'm starving," Carlos grumbled.

"I still have steak."

His eyes began to light up. "Can you make this brilliant mushroom sauce to go with it?"

Nodding, I complied with his request and he ordered onion rings to go with it.

"I'll have the same," Rage grumbled.

"Make it three portions!" Reaper was the last to leave the meeting room and joined us.

The dishes were quickly prepared, much to the relief of the men, because as soon as the plates were placed in front of them, they fell upon them like ravenous coyotes.

"I've got more," I commented on their feast with amusement.

Apart from the three steaks and two burgers that two other men ordered, nobody ate anything else. The kitchen was quickly cleaned due to the short time it was used, the only thing missing was the preparation for breakfast. But first I cleared the plates.

"Did you skip your Bible study group today?" Reaper looked at me questioningly, challenge flashing in his eyes.

I shook my head, knowing full well that he wouldn't like it. "I'm just not a very spontaneous person," I added.

I expected an answer, whether from him or someone else, but the Pres just looked at me for a silent moment. Scrutinizingly, because the small crease between his eyebrows told me that he was thinking.

"Take off your apron. I'll show you something."

I hadn't expected this request. "What?"

"Mandy," he called across the counter until the black-haired woman turned to him. "She's getting off work."

He was the president, the power to decide such things clearly lay with him, even if Mandy was the boss at the bar. He didn't wait for her approval, instead he tipped his water down and headed for the door.