Loss & Love

Here's part 2 to Unexpected News :)

                                                                                              ***

The first thing you felt when you opened your eyes was the shooting pain coming from the back of your head. When you went to lift your hand to touch the spot where the pain was coming from that's when you saw an IV inserted in your arm. Lowering your arm back down beside you that's when you looked around trying to figure out where you were. 

A hospital? 

Why were you in a hospital? 

As you closed your eyes trying to remember, that's when you heard someone walk in. Opening your eyes, you looked over to the doorway to see Matty with a somber look on her face.

"Hey, you're awake." She said, trying to give you her best sincere smile.

"Matty? Where- Where am I?" You spoke for the first time in what felt like days, given how hoarse your voice was.

"You are in a hospital in Austria, there was a mission and you got hurt. You had gotten a head injury and soon lost consciousness afterwards. It's been three days since you slipped into a coma." Matty said as she walked over to take your hand in hers.

Looking at her you felt your eyes start to water, remembering back on what had happened. Then it hit you. Realization came across your face as you took your free hand, placing it on your stomach. "Matty I-"

She gave you even more pitiful look, squeezing your hand in hers harder "I know, about the baby. The doctor had to run tests, including bloodwork. Since you do not have any family he told me."

You looked at her with tears now brimming the bottom of your eyes, the look on her face did not say any good news. "I lost the baby didn't I?" 

Matty pursed her lips together tightly as she herself started to tear up. All she could do was nod in response before she took a second to clear her throat to try to stop the tears from coming.

You just laid there staring at the ceiling as the tears slid down the sides of your face from your eyes "The minute he kicked me in the stomach I knew. I- I wasn't that far along, I just found out last week. I don't know why I am crying, I barely had time to wrap my head around the idea of being a mom. I mean- it would have complicated so many things. You'd put me on desk duty for sure and who knows if I would even go back out into the field after having the baby. I shouldn't have been out there, the minute I found out I should have said something. " You cried even harder now while Matty just tried to calm you down by rubbing your arm.

"I never even got to know if it was a boy or a girl." You sobbed even harder, before Matty started crying along with you.

After a minute passed you suddenly remembered something "Mac? Where's Mac?" 

Matty wiped her cheeks as she looked up at you "I'll call him, he's at the hotel resting. He's been by your side almost the whole time. I made him go back to the hotel to get some sleep."

You laid there with a evident worry in her eyes "Matty? Does he- I mean- I-."

Matty luckily knew what it was you were trying to say before giving you a knowing look "He was there when the doctor told me the news. I take it he was the father."

You bit harshly on your bottom lip as you nodded "I swear it was just one time, me and Mac aren't even together. Oh god, I didn't mean for him to find out that way. I was going to tell him after the mission." Now getting upset all over again as Matty went back to holding your hand.