Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Max's pov

• Throwback to 2014 - 7 years ago - Age 17 •

"Max, your mother is calling" dad said and handed me the phone, I took it and put it to my ear. "Hi moeder" I said, it had been a while since I last talked to my mom so it was nice hearing her voice again. - "Hi Maxie, how are you doing? Is your father treating you alright?" she asked. "Yes, yes he is. And I'm good, I'm very excited for the qualifying today!" .. "That's wonderful to hear, Victoria and I will be watching along from home, your sister misses you a lot" she giggled. "Please tell her I miss her too, and you guys better have your fingers crossed today! Esteban is killing it out on track, I almost can't keep up with him" - "We're crossing everything we can," she said. We spoke a little more, which was lovely.

Today was Saturday, which meant qualifying day, I was excited as always, since I love coming to the track and doing what I love most.- I arrived with dad and we directly went to the garage to prepare for the qualifying.

Whilst dad was talking to some of the mechanics working on my car, I decided to take a five minute break, I walked to the corner of the room and pulled out my phone, where I texted Victoria who were wishing me good luck on today's qualifying, something she has done ever since we first got a phone. - "Max! What the hell are you doing?!" Dad said and pulled the phone out of my hands. "I was just texting Vic, give it back to me!" I said and tried to reach out for my phone, which he was turning off.

"Don't think I'm buying that, I know you've been talking to a girl lately who's keeping your focus on everything else than this! If you wanna be the best you have to focus on this sport, and only that! Girls come further down the line, do you understand that! Girls are not worth it" he said with an aggressive tone. I rolled my eyes because he was being totally ridiculous.
Yes I've been talking to a girl lately, and my father has no right to decide if I can date someone or not, he is one of the reasons why I've never had a real girlfriend before.. But this time it was actually Victoria, and the fact he didn't even want his own kids to talk to each other was just crazy..

"Don't you ever roll your eyes on your own father, do you understand that boy?!" he said and grabbed my shoulder. "Yes, could you maybe let me go so I can focus on this sport" I answered, a bit infuriating, which pissed him off. "Go change now, and be right back in five minutes tops" he said and gave me a little push in the right direction, so that's what I did. I walked to a changing room and changed into my racesuit and all the other things I had to wear.

After a few hours the qualifying was over and it was amazing. Esteban was strong on track, and he is one tough guy to beat, but I managed to get pole position right in front of him, which made not only myself happy, dad was happy, which is even more important, especially after our little situation earlier. I returned back to the garage and jumped out of the car, where I went to give my team principal and engineer a hug. We were all happy, and we're looking forward to a strong race tomorrow.

"Well done son, well done.." dad said and patted my shoulder a few times, he and I weren't really the people to hug each other, only on special occasions. "Thanks, can I have my phone now?" I asked and looked at him. "Only because you got pole" he answered and pulled it out of his pocket. "Thanks" I answered and turned on my phone, where I afterwards walked to my drivers room to change, before the interviews.

I called Vic since I wanted to hear her voice. "Hi Maxie" she said happily. "Hi Vic, did you watch the qualifying?" I asked, it was great hearing her voice again, the voice of my little sister who is missed so much. "I did, congratulations Maxie.. Is something wrong?" she asked. "No, no.. Don't worry about it, I'm okay. I just miss you and I'm happy to hear your voice".. "Are you sure that's the only thing?" - "Yes, I'm okay" I answered, I wasn't okay, today had been a tough day, but I didn't want her to worry about me.