FORTY-NINE | year 6

POISONED INTENTIONS

☆☆☆

Cassiopeia stood before Harry, Ron, and Hermione, her heart heavy with the weight of her secret. The offer to spend Christmas break at the Burrow, surrounded by warmth and laughter, was tempting. Yet, the truth she carried threatened to shatter the fragile peace she had found.

"I appreciate the offer," Cassiopeia began, her voice tinged with regret, "but I must decline."

Harry's green eyes searched hers, concern etched on his face. "Are you sure, Cass? We'd love to have you with us."

She forced a smile, hiding the turmoil within. "I know, Harry, but after everything that had happened last year...I don't think its wise." She sighed, smiling at him a bit. "I've got to catch up with my studies too, I've been falling behind. I promise, we'll spend time together once you'll be back."

Ron looked disappointed, his brow furrowing in confusion. "Are you sure everything's alright, Cass? You seem...distant."

Hermione nodded in agreement, her gaze piercing. "You can talk to us, Cassiopeia. We're here for you."

Cassiopeia's heart ached at their genuine concern, but she couldn't risk their safety by revealing her involvement with the Vanishing Cabinet. "I appreciate your concern, truly. But this is something I need to handle on my own, and well, I've got Neville for company anyway."

As they bid her farewell, Cassiopeia felt a pang of guilt twist in her chest. She hated lying to them, as always. But her allegiance to the Dark Lord demanded secrecy, even from those she cherished most.

Alone in the dimly lit Room of Requirement at Hogwarts, Cassiopeia's fingers traced the intricate runes etched into the Vanishing Cabinet. Memories of her past deeds haunted her, but she pushed them aside, focusing on her task at hand.

With each delicate repair, Cassiopeia prayed for Harry's safety. She couldn't bear the thought of him falling victim to the Dark Lord's wrath. Sacrificing her own happiness was a small price to pay if it meant protecting the man she loved.

Minutes turned into hours as Cassiopeia worked tirelessly, her determination unwavering. The Room of Requirement became her sanctuary, shielding her from prying eyes and offering solace in the darkness.

But with each passing moment, the weight of her secret threatened to consume her. Would her efforts be enough to keep Harry safe, or would her past sins come back to haunt them all?

As Christmas approached, Cassiopeia's resolve wavered. The thought of spending the holiday alone weighed heavily on her heart, but she knew she couldn't risk exposing her secret, not even for a moment of happiness. Now that she doesn't even speak to her brother, she has never felt more alone than ever.