SIXTEEN | year 4

UNFORGIVABLE CURSES

"Alastor Moody," he spoke as he wrote his name on the board. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions? When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three sir," Hermione responded.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..."

Mad-Eye cuts of Hermione with a snarl. "Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!"

Some students flinched at his words, and some stared in utter confusion.

He turned to write on the chalkboard aggressively, "You need to know what you're up against, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than that underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

"Aw no way," groaned Seamus, "the old codger can see out the back of his head."

Mad-Eye throws the chalk at him in anger, some students letting out an "ooo".

"So, which curse shall we see first?" He looked around the classroom, one if his eyeball rolling around. "WEASLEY!!"

Ron gulped, standing up. "Yes..."

"Give us a curse,"

"Well, my dad did tell me about one...the imperious curse," replied Ron, trying his best to remain eye contact between Moody.

"Ahh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago," Mad-Eye said. "Perhaps this will show you why."

Mad-Eye pops open a jar with a huge spider in it, "Hello. What a little beauty. Imperio!" He uses his wand to send it around the class.

"Don't worry. Completely harmless." The class gasps, unsettled. Cassiopeia backed up.

"But if she bites...she's lethal!"

Draco, who's beside the girl, laughs at the other students that the spider crawled around on by the use of Mad-Eye's wand.

"What are you laughing at?" scoffed Mad-Eye as he sends the spider onto Draco's face, he panics, grabbing Cassiopeia's arm who laughed at his face.

"Get it off, get it off, get it off!" He whimpered like a baby. Cassiopeia takes a book, smiling at him.

"Would you like me to smack it with this book?"

Just as she said that, Mad-Eye made the spider jump on Cassiopeia's arm, who wiggled her arm in disgust, trying to push it away.

"Talented isn't she?" chuckled Mad-Eye, "What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself??"

Mad-Eye has the spider over a bucket of water, and the spider tries its best to wiggle its way out.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars?" Mad-Eye eyes the students, trying to choose one. "Another...another... Come on, come on. Longbottom is it? Up."  
Neville Longbottom stands up, looking at Mad-Eye shakily. Cassiopeia remembered what the letter from her Aunt Bellatrix said, and she lets out a small sigh.

"Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology," said Mad-Eye. Neville nods, before opening his mouth to speak.

"T-There's the Cruciatus curse," he spoke, stuttering.