Divine is Home

Divine
𝙲𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚝𝚘𝚗, 𝙲𝙰
                             -excuse any mistakes

"How long you pose to be stayin'?" My mom raspy voice asked helping me with my bags as we stepped in the house.

"Not long. Just a few days." I answered back looking over to our living room.

When I lived with my mother, we had two bedrooms, one for me, one for her.

I am from East Compton. Home of Piru.

My cousin Kendrick usually is the only one that nags me to death when I'm here. He swears he wants to be a rapper one day.

"Well, Welcome back." She said looking at me up down examining my body with a weak smile as her eyes glistened.

"You know where everything at." She said grabbing her cigarette box and beating the bottom so one can slip out.

She tossed it back on the couch and grabbed her lighter out her bra sparking it and walking to the kitchen.

I sighed before following her in to see a couple of changes. As the walls that were once white were a light beige color. Almost like sand.

And our family pictures were lined up on one side of the wall. I chuckled at one as I smiled with the most buck teeth ever.

"So how's school and work been?" She asked emphasizing school and work as that was my excuse for me not coming back almost every time her and Trina asked.

"It's stressful." I said telling the truth.

"Mhm. Well that's what it take to be grown." She said dragging the smoke out and shaking her head up and down.

I examined my mother's dark wrinkle skinned body. She wore a plain white tee, some sweat pants, and a paisley printed silk baby blue head wrap. She's still skinny and slim like a 70's black model.

"How's it been at home?" I asked sitting down at the table. Knowing my mom needed to talk to me about something, she usually only comes to the kitchen to cook or put me on to something.

Like I said, my mom's not all bad, I just didn't like how if I did something the way she didn't want me to, I'd get scolded and some very harsh things were said to me.

So I left. I don't regret my choice either.

"They still over here doing the same thing. I wanted to talk to you about your cousin Kendrick." She said pointing at me with her cigarette.

I let out a sigh before asking, "What happened now?"

"His homeboy. He held em while he died Divine." She said shaking her head.

"BUT" She added. "His mama nem thinkin' he plottin revenge. You see I need you to talk to your cousin Divine, before this all get out of hand." She said stressing.

"I'll call em." I said getting up to retrieve my suitcase.

The things I've learned from moving out the hood: Only come back to see loved ones.

I'm in Crenshaw and it's all the same thing, but the crime rate is a lot lower than being back here at home I tell you.

"And you tell him Divine!-" She said following after me.

I rolled my eyes stepping into my old room before answering. "Ma. I know." I said.

"Alright. I'm bout to gone and have me a lil' get together." She said scratching the side of her neck.

"Clean up this room." She said before shutting the door behind her.

I looked around my room realizing I haven't been here in a grip. I moved out at sixteen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my room though.