Chapter 47: What You Mean?

Please excuse ANY errors.

February 14, 1999

~DeVanté's P.O.V~

Yawning, I walked back into the bedroom and out of the bathroom. My eyes scanned past the clock, then focused on it. I sat on the bed beside my fiancé.

"Babe," I called out, shaking my fiancée awake.

Tia turned over, then quickly sat up on the bed with wide and red eyes, "I'm late?" She rushed out of the bed with legs like jelly, almost falling because her body wasn't fully awake.

"Babe," I called out to her, cleared my throat, and stood up. "Babe," I walked to her, grabbing her hand and she turned around. "Chill Tia, you ain't late. The alarm didn't go off though. You said if I was awake at a certain time to wake you up. It's two- three minutes after that time. Breathe," my hand slid down her arms and wrapped around her waist.

It's a few minutes past four in the morning, but she has work to do. Today is the NAACP Awards and my fiancée's film series, The Temptations, has been nominated for a few film awards and a few films of hers. The reason she's up so early is because she's a fashion designer and has certain people wearing her clothing. Yes, she has stylists to make sure everything runs smoothly, but this woman wants to make sure everything goes the way it should.

"Relax, love," I spoke while rubbing her arms as her face rested on my chest. "You just be running around like a chicken with its head cut off."

Tia wrapped her arms around the back of my neck with her chin resting on my chest. "Yes, papi."

"Damn, okay..." I told her, and then Tia pecked my lips as I remained taken aback. "I'm not just gon' bypass that." Tia gave me a look of confusion. "Don't look at me like that. I thought you would never call me daddy?"

"Daddy?" Tia raised her eyebrows. "I said papi, not daddy. I wouldn't call a man- my man," she pointed to herself, "daddy."

"Different but same family, but I like that shit," I held her tighter. "Do it again."

"Mm-hmm, I need to get dressed. Make sure that you're ready by four even if I'm not back by then. Please?"

"I promise that I got you," I kissed her lips. "In the meantime, I'm going back to sleep which is what you need to do. You're going to be burnt the hell out by the time we walk the carpet, love. What's the point of having stylists if you're going to do all of this? The show is more than twelve hours away."

I don't like red carpet walks and neither does Tia. However, her brand is still fairly new and she's trying to get it out there even more. I'm going to do this in support of my fiancé. She's going to win something, I just know it. It's hard for someone black to win such awards, but I have faith that she'll win something.

"I know, but people make mistakes and I want to prevent that. I want to make sure everything is there and pieces are placed on clients as it's meant to be," she replied.

"Okay, let me get some Z's in now that my bladder is empty," I pulled away.

"Good, I'm going to get dressed and I'll be back later to get dressed for the Awards show. Hopefully, I'm not late for myself," she chuckled.