Chapter 25: Not so Merry

Please excuse ANY errors.

December 25, 1998

~Yasir's P.O.V~

Watching everybody open up their own gifts, I sat there completely empty-handed. Like nobody got me anything? Well, my parents did, but I mean Tia. I know we are not on good terms but damn!

"I like this!" DeVanté told Tia looking at the robe she gifted. "You took the whole design from Versace." He said putting it on.

It's a custom-made, gold and red robe that I'm sure she made. Instead of Versace written all over it, it has his name.

"I did." She nodded laughing.

"We matchin'!" Daryl replied taking his robe out, but his is a different color.

Our mother doesn't wear robes because she sleeps and walks around the house fully clothed. I have no idea how she can still sleep in jeans. Daryl on the other hand enjoys it. It's hard to gift my mother with things because she doesn't enjoy many things.

"Thanks, T." Dalvin gave her a side hug.

She just gifted DeVanté's male relatives with a piece of clothing from her business and women with perfume. I'm still sitting here with nothing...  Ain't we supposed to be siblings? I mean, DeVanté's daddy doesn't even seem to like my damn sister and she still got him something. That shit speaks volumes about how she really feels.

"Think fast!" Daryl said throwing a small wrapped gift at me and it hit my head before falling on my lap. "Ooo, you suck, ex-athlete. Football was your thing." He laughed. "My bad though. It's from me and ya mama."

I happily opened up my gift and saw some money. It wasn't much and could've been more, but I'm grateful. "Thanks, y'all. It was just what I nee- wanted." I told them.

"You're welcome." My mother replied.

"And needed," Daryl added, making me frown. "You welcome."

They act like I'm broke as fuck. My parents had already opened my gifts which were simple. Contemplating whether I should give my sister her gift or not, I finally made the decision. That decision is to give it to her, so I stood up and walked toward her.

"Merry Christmas," I spoke, holding the gift out to her.

Tia looked up at me surprised. For what? Because I always give her Christmas gifts on holidays and birthdays if I have the money to do so. This is a time when I'm not low on cash. DeVanté gave a surprised look for some strange reason.

"Thanks." She said accepting it, clearly hesitant.

The first time she actually spoke to me without telling me to basically don't fuck with nobody. She opened it. "This is nice." She said putting the Pandora bracelet on her wrist. "Thank you. I love it." She nodded.

"DeVanté you forgot to grab Yasir's gift from back home?" My mother questioned.

Tia shook her head and spoke up for the lack of words and man that DeVanté really is. "No, I didn't get him anything."

DeVanté's family and my mother all have the same expression once she said that.

"Why?" My mother asked confused. "He's your brother and you brought him nothin', but gifted EVERYONE else. That doesn't make any sense. Are you serious, Tia?"