Chapter 36: Say My Name

Please excuse ANY errors.

December 29, 1998

~DeVanté's P.O.V~

"Alright, I'm TIRED of beatin' y'all asses and y'all complain in' about it. I'm done! Shit, I better quit while I'm ahead." I stood up from my seat. "My work here is DONE." I bowed, pushed my chair in, then started counting my money.

"So you just gon' leave us like this? Broke in a whole 'nother country?" Dalvin asked me. "I been unlucky this whole damn trip when it comes to games."

"Yup, seems like it." I nodded, still counting my money. "However, that shit ain't MY fuckin' problem." I laughed boisterously with my shoulders bouncing. "And y'all niggas ain't broke, so miss me with that bullshit."

"He took ALL our damn money!" K-Ci sounded flabbergasted. "Ain't this 'bout a funky bitch?"

"Mmhm, a big one." I nodded in agreement with K-Ci's statement. "Y'all ready to go or want to keep playin' amongst yourselves? You know... To see if your luck turns around?" I asked K-Ci and Jojo.

"Hell yeah, I'm ready to go nigga!" JoJo stood up. "After all the money I done lost. I'm pissed off. It's the fact he countin' that shit in our faces."

"Well, y'all the ones that kept on wanting to play, thinkin' y'all was gon' win. I learned early. I know that there are only so many times that I could win before my luck runs out." I smiled, holding my hand out to Dalvin to shake hands.

Dalvin looked down at my hand with a dirty look and I turned to Derek with a smile still plastered on my face.

"I lost because we were supposed to been played before they came here. You cheated?" Dalvin eyed me.

"Bye," Derek shook my hand. "Next time I'm getting your ass though. Remember that!"

"I don't know about that because I'm not sure there will be a next time ANYTIME SOON," I told him, then walked out of the room. "Bye, Dalvin! I'm gon' go warm up the car!" I told them, then made my way up the stairs.

"Junior?" My mother called out as I walked passed the kitchen.

I stopped and then walked backward until I was standing at the kitchen entrance. "Yes?" I replied, walking inside the kitchen.

"Come give your mama a hug." My mother waved me over.

I walked over to her and gave her a hug. "Hey, momma." I hugged my mother tightly and then pulled away.

"I haven't seen y'all in a while. Well, I have seen both of you and wasn't able to have a conversation with you both. With everything going on, it wasn't the right time," she told me.

"We did speak after everything boiled down." I reminded her of the conversation between the two of us. "You were the only one I did speak to one on one. We had a long conversation."

"I said together, Junior," she chuckled.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry," I chuckled. "You're not missing out on anything. I promise you." I reassured her. "Plus, I'm glad we didn't because you would've been throwin' hints after hints," I cleared my throat. "Are you okay? How're you doing?" I asked her.