The Party Part 1:End of the Beginning

Alyosha stood out in the balcony of the Command Center, staring at the outpouring of UNSC assets that had formed part of the garrison in the Outpost, either in transition toward the Ark's Outer Rim, or as permanent residents meant to assist in the security of one of the many points in the Ark's thick defense network. The Spirit of Fire had radioed and reported that all facilities were set to begin stripping some important stuff off of the girl. Armor plates to reinforce bulkheads on the Outpost, a couple of anti-air guns in case of aerial Rapture insertion, some coilguns and missile pods and even the MAC.

Some of the few things that were not that transportable were the ship's reactor and much of the onboard factories, meaning that the place would become another Outpost of its own. Landed amidst the farthest dead sister city explored so far, she'd be part of the defenses of humanity's last known bastion, too. UNSC staff in HAZMAT gear were also already sweeping the Ark where Kelly had met that terrifying alien parasite, the Flood. They'd given the All-Clear a while ago.

Still, Alyosha's skin crawled whenever he thought just how close they were to a second Apocalypse. One that would leave the Raptures to deal with Humanity's angered Ghosts instead of a dwindling species. An alien army of the undead versus an alien army of Machines. He didn't even wanna fathom who'd win out in that battle. All he knew was that he and anyone and everyone he loved and cared about would be dead.

Chewing on that thought for a bit, he realized that might still happen before the end of the War against the Raptures, or even now, while they were preparing to counter Syuen's last little trump card in full. He prayed the Civvies and any Nikke who had doubts about Syuen's plans would stay the hell out of the line of fire while the UNSC dealt with the little rat. He also hoped he'd get a chance to choke the life out of her after everything she'd put them all through, though he'd be thankful just to see her hang. He let his mind cool by watching Neon and Anis playing some sort of American variation of Football with Johnson and his Marines, laughing as they ran together with the men and Chief's squad.

He twitched as he felt a hand rest on his shoulder, then cocked his head left. Rapi stood there, her beautiful red eyes glimmering with a hint of surprise. She spoke, "Apologies, Commander. You seemed deep in thought and I just wanted to make sure you're alright..." shyly pushing a strand of hair out of her left eye. To the onlooker, they could faintly make out a blush on her cheeks.

He smiled at his XO. She'd always been there, right by his side. He nodded in thanks and replied, "I'm alright. Just... This is all so overwhelming," before pointing out in the distance. Mighty Tools and the UNSC's Construction Battalion were faux-bickering like they were old friends, all while building an extension to the Outpost to permit the assembly of one of the two Coil-Guns and half-a-dozen AAA guns to be installed. He continued, "A few months ago, we barely had the Chief aboard and look at us now."

"An Army of men and women under our belt and the fate of all of Humanity hanging in the balance, waiting to be tipped one way or another by the upcoming move in a Big Game," She completed his thoughts, leaning against the railing of the balcony, too. She nodded, "I'd be lying if I didn't say that this was... Terrifying for me, too, when we even looked at the options."

"I'm not made for politics," Alyosha chuckled, "Hell, I think I saw my first gray hair appear."

Rapi looked to him, a hint concerned, before noting that his hair remained its usual black. She poked a hand into it almost instinctually, though, only to realize she'd mistakenly given him a pat and blush as she retracted her hand. She coughed and said, "It looks normal to me..." awkwardly starting to play with her own hair. Alyosha's turn to blush came next at the sight of that.

"Was a figure of speech," He chuckled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. He then told her, "Thanks for worrying..."

Almost robotically and partially in denial, Rapi replied with, "It's your second-in-command's main duty to ensure you're in good health..." while averting her gaze. It was truly annoying for both of them that they found little reason to ever tell each-other their true feelings. Though neither realized the other had feelings for them, either, Rapi had the idea of the perfect soldier to maintain for so many reasons, while Alyosha was at least trying to be close to every Nikke under his command so they understood he saw them as human, but he wished he could show more affection in private to Rapi.