CHAPTER XXXIV: Four Candies (Castiel)

Start from the beginning

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood," he said before walking ahead of me. "Don't take it too seriously."

Since when did he know the phrase lighten the mood? Ever since we met, I had always known him as too serious. He would not even crack a joke. Even if he did once, that would be purely coincidental or sarcastic. Oh, well. People change. Magmula nang makilala niya at maging close sila ni Fabienne, unti-unti na siyang . . . gumaan sa paningin ko. Dati'y ang bigat niya. Ngayo'y para siyang bulaklak na bumubuka. Oplan First Lady had such effect on him.

"I also want to know if you're still upset with me." Priam glanced at me over his right shoulder. "We're on the same boat here. And it's unfortunate if one of is rowing the other way."

"I still am." I limped my way forward to catch up with him. "I think you're punishing me in every chance that there is. Asking me to stand there with you on the stage was a dead giveaway. If you were considerate of my condition, you wouldn't have asked me to do it. The old you before the impeachment trial wouldn't."

"Isipin mo na ang gusto mong isipin. I'm only doing what I believe is best for the team. You're the new vice president. Many students don't know you. They have to see you in the flesh."

"That's why you should have chosen someone else," I countered.

The entire campus was splashed with vibrant colors. Mula sa mga banderitas hanggang sa kulay ng mga booth at tent, parang isa itong malaking canvas na sinabuyan ng iba't ibang kulay. A few days ago, this place looked as bland and as boring as a memorial park. Today, it's alive. It was beating and pounding like a heart.

Priam and I decided to take a stroll. Nakabuntot sa amin sina Lavinia at Sabrina na nagsisilbing tulay ng mga may kailangan sa amin. The other two officers were not with us. Tabitha was currently dealing with the sponsors probably in an air-conditioned room. Rowan was busy managing our social media efforts, taking photos and videos everywhere.

"Priam?" Lavinia called from behind us. "Do you want to drop by at the Medical Mission tent later? I asked Avrille if we can make an appearance there. She said you're welcome to do so. Maraming outsiders na ang nakapila ro'n, karamihan sa kanila'y middle-aged at matatanda na."

"If we can fit it in our schedule, why not?" Priam answered.

"Avi said they can give you three to five minutes to speak," Lavinia read the message on her phone before turning to the secretary. "Sab, can you write a quick speech? Let's say that the students giving them medicines and extracting their bloods will be the pharmacists, phlebotomists, medical technologists, et cetera of them, their kids, and their grandsons in the near future."

"Got it." Mariing tumango si Sabrina sabay labas ng hawak na tablet.

"I will also let Rowan know para mabigyan niya ng heads up ang campus press at ma-cover ang pagpunta mo ro'n."

She was the newcomer here, so she must be trying her best to prove that she deserved the appointment. Got to admire her level of dedication. She needed to work double or even triple time. My fault. I left her some big shoes to fill.

"How about in the learning center?" Lavinia asked next. "Maybe we can ask Eleanor to give us a bit of their time with the out-of-school youth?"

"As long as we can fit it in the schedule."

"How about—"

"Wait." I held up my right hand, making them halt. Humarap ako sa bago naming chief-of-staff. "I think you're stretching him too thin."

Lavinia looked me straight in the eye, showing her resolve. "That's why I'm asking Priam kung available ba siya. If he's not, then we won't grace those areas with his presence."