CHAPTER XVI: Castle Under Siege (Castiel)

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

IT'S MY turn. Today, I would take the stand at the impeachment trial. I was not the one being impeached—though I would surely lose my job in case Priam and Valeria were—but since I was present during the alleged coercion incident, I had to testify.

Handa na ba akong harapin at sagutin ang mga tanong nila? The truth was, no one could be fully prepared for this inquisition. We had a vague idea of the questioning's premise, but our enemies could throw a lucky punch and knock us down even if we stood on a solid ground. My strategy was to demolish the prosecution's arguments if they were too weak, and deflect if they were strong enough.

"Castiel Seville, the chief-of-staff of the University Student Council, will now take the stand," Alaric the Prick announced as soon as he hit the gavel. If he could only bring out a bucket of popcorn, he would probably do so. Watching me squirm here would be a great entertainment for him.

The arrangement in the LEXECOM office was the same as last time. Present sina Priam at Valeria kasama si Helene sa side ng defense habang mag-isa si Kayneth sa side ng ombudsman. I got to my feet and limped my way to the seat in the center of the room. All eyes were on me—from the vultures of the majority bloc to the pigeons of the campus press.

"Mr. Seville, you may now deliver your opening statement," Alaric the Prick said. "We suggest that you keep it short and straight to the point."

"I yield my time, Mister Chair," I replied after moving the mic close to my mouth. Why bother with foreplay if we can jump straight to the action? "I prefer to answer the questions that are pertinent to the purpose of this trial."

"Very well, let the record reflect that Mr. Seville waived his time to deliver his opening statement. The Ombudsman may now begin his cross-examination."

"Mr. Seville," Kayneth called my name as he crossed the floor. His towering figure cast an ominous shadow over me. Dahil nakaupo ako at nakatayo siya, nagmukha siyang higanteng mabagal na umiikot sa akin. "In the previous hearing, the former CCS-CSC chairperson claimed that you and the USC vice president met with him in one of the restaurants in the food hub. Can you confirm that?"

"Yes," I answered. There's no point in denying it. Baka ipatawag pa niyang witness ang isa sa mga waiter doon kapag nagsinungaling ako.

"Can you also confirm that you coerced him to vote in favor of the Freedom of Information motion in exchange for not leaking the findings of your team about the defamation against Fabienne Lucero?"

I had expected him to choose this line of questioning so I was kinda well prepared. "Chevy may have seen it as a coercion, but I consider it a conversation. It's not inappropriate for USC officers to talk to CSC chairpersons about a motion to be decided by the LEXECOM. We wanna make sure that we have the numbers before the vote is held."