Chapter IX

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities"_ J.K Rowling (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)

That statement then became the root of all her problems. Why? Because, in Aeronia, it would've travelled down that long tunnel, reaching the ears of all those who were at the Arena, desperately trying to get any news on the found prince.
However, Arielle herself was still in that room, facing her father and uncle, who paled. The shock of finding her brother in that state, couldn't even compare to their face expressions now. Maybe she did wish she hadn't said anything.
Her father remained silent for a long time, which was getting her nervous by the minute. Her body started shaking, the anticipation of her father's reply running down her veins, her mind releasing all kinds of worries into her head.
I shouldn't have said anything.
He's going to yell at me.
Is it so wrong if I want to go on his place?
Who caused this?
No. No. No!
"I...I didn't mean it!" Arielle put up a wall around herself, as protection against the two men standing beside her. "I swear--"
"Oh, but you did, princess" Haakon's snarl reached her ears. She wasn't that much afraid of her uncle, but her heart racing, her body shaking and the worries all were disproving that claim. She was, indeed, worried about the consequences. Did she want to participate? Yes. Was she worried about the sermon she was about to receive? Yes. Was she lying? No.
"But I think," Her uncle continued, a smile forming around his lips. He raised his hand to rub his goatee, narrowing his silver clad eyes at her. "It's your father's decision now, my dear"
It was against the rules. There was no way her uncle would have agreed with this. Unless... Arielle sighed. The air around the tunnel suffocated her, and she could use it as an excuse to withdraw her previous claim, the only thing standing in the way was...well, everything.
Why? Because, by now, everybody knew. In her kingdom, news travelled fast, and if she were to guess, she'd leave that tunnel with a load of questions thrown at her, some indignated sneers and comments.
"I do think, also," Her uncle smirked. "That it is against the rules." His eyes bored onto hers. "You did know that."
The princess wanted to role her eyes. Rules. The book she spent days reading did have those, but it mostly envolved the criteria for the contestants, a shower of ethica statements, basic rights, and normal procedures. She scoffed. She imagined her uncle as being the worst of her nightmares, but she couldn't guess that he would actually see to that. Well, he didn't say that bluntly, but his reaction to her claim told her he was using his words not to convey his thoughts. How useful.
Then it hit her: the rules.
Her eyes widened as a thought springed into her head. That might just be her answer.
The worries that filled her head suddenly vanished.

Soon, Arielle heard the sound of steps as her father and uncle turned to the sound. Kenyon ran to meet the King, only to be met with an intense atmosphere and a smirking Haakon, who looked at the guard as if he was the answer to all his prayers.
"Kenyon," He greeted him, behind the guard following Lydia and Collyn, who clung to her as if they couldn't survive without each other. It slightly annoyed both of the girls.
"Is what I heard true?" The guard asked, looking at the King. Khrysaor himself was stunned enough to be silent, but that wasn't the only reason. Obviously, he had heard his daughter expression her desire to participate before, but he had been harsh about it, out of concern. Now, he heard her convey her thought, and he actually thought of it as a solution, but not necesserly the only one.
"The princess cannot participate in the Games! It is for soldiers, it's against the rules!" He insisted.
"And so she knows," Haakon looked at her to see the princess's reaction. In fact, he wanted her to act like she was, rashly and impulsively. Yet, she remain calm.
"But the books say--" Arielle wanted to explain, but found it useless. They would never agree to it. Besides, she knew it wasn't a decision exclusively up to her father, but to a whole table of the counsil, to sort out if the rules allowed it or not.
And she know that they did.
"Forget the books!" Kenyon almost screamed, but restrained himself not to spite the king by disrespecting his daughter. "This is made for actual warriors, princess. Boys with years of training in intensive camps. No place for princesses"
She rolled her eyes at that. Arielle keep pushing her thoughts further.
Lydia, on the other hand, frowned, as she watched Arielle being given a lecture. Honestly, she thought of it as a good idea and a statement, although slightly worried about her cousin's safety. Collyn, though, thought of it as an outlet for a easy win. Finally, he could make his father proud. With Elijah, it would have been tougher, but he was out of the league now. How helpful.
Kyra, too, heard it all. She wanted to yell at her daughter to stop saying nonsenses, her heart beating wildly. A drop of sweat fell off her head, as she watched her husband being silent and her brother giving them an earful.
Oh, Ella.
Arielle knew it to be a decision up to the counsil. Her father didn't say that, but he knew it too. Haakon, on the other hand, thought of it as a decision up to thw King himself. For he had only such idea of the monarchy in Aeronia. Sadly, they had to rely on them.
"Well," Khrysaor finally spoke, breaking the silence. "Be it the way it is, it is not my decision. The counsil will give their opinions, before I make it ultimately. Now, let's all exit this room. Please, follow Kenyon."
And sure they did. Arielle, though, slowed her pace as she stayed behind. She pondered her decision, her choice, her wish. She never once disregarded the consequences. But the reward...it was so much better.