Chapter X

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."_Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird).

Despite everything, Arielle managed a smile. She didn't imagine her father's approval or the Lords' silence upon wishing to participate in the games. She anticipated a rather contesting approach, in which every one of those present at the enormous table would come up with all possible excuses to refuse, but their respect to the King's decision, even if it was on the precious daughter's favor.
On the other hand, Haakon was intrigued with the King's reasoning. He felt as if his brother was hiding something, and he did not like it. His sister entered silently in the room, blinking as if to acess everybody in the room.
"Khrys, what's going on?" she asked, looking at either side, her delicate arms crossed against her chest. The air around the throne room felt heavy, and Arielle couldn't agree more. She couldn't retreat what she said earlier, and now it was worse--it was made official. The prospect of the Games impact on her scared her the most. She had to train hard, meet the team--and face Collyn.
"Your daughter seems to think she has what it takes to survive the Games," Haakon commented.
"What?" The Queen rushed to meet her husband, who looked guilty facing her angered features. "Are you out of your mind?"
"My decision is final," The King spoke loudly, resulting in all individuals present to bow their heads. "You may all leave now," He ordered, as the Lords started to depart their chairs and leave to their duties.
Arielle breathed in and out. The next step now was to meet Kenyon by the Arena, which would be unoccupied for the evening. Her head was still trying to quiet down the anxious thoughts. All the 'what-ifs' that filled her mind.
"You got what you wanted, Ella," Aideen said, suddenly. "Aren't you happy?"
Her face showed concern. Even though Aideen encouraged the princess to follow her instinct, the prospect of finding Elijah unconscious scared her.
On Arielle's end, the need to find out what happened to her brother awakened. She thought perhaps engaging on the games would give her a wider perspective, but she was starting to doubt it.
Now, she could have what she wished, and search for the reason behind everything. A sensation of happiness filled her body. As she looked at the now empty throne room, with only her parents and uncle, who eyed her stance.
Collyn was nowhere to be seen, even though he was there for the council. She pictured him angered at the final decision, however, the fact that he didn't come to confront her was a mystery.
"Your highness?" A deep voice startled her, causing her to jump and stare at the expectant face of the Guard Kenyon, a short, but bulky soldier, with his dark eyebrows frowned. "Are you ready to go?"
It brought Arielle's attention back to the guard. In reality, the pit of her stomach was filled with bubbles that unsettled her lower parts, upon realizing what would happen next. Nonetheless, she nodded at the guard, who guided her outside the castle, leaving the rest behind.

"The first thing you need to know about the Games is--" The Guard stopped, upon realizing Arielle wasn't paying attention anymore. He sighed, pondering on his options. As it was an order, he couldn't simply refuse to aid the King's daughter, but he continued to firmly believe that it would too dangerous for her.
He shook his head. Three days to go.
"Your highness," He called her. "Are you listening to me?"
"Huh?" What is it that he was saying anyway? It doesn't matter, I have to win. For that, I will have to pay attention.
He inclined his head, focusing on those mysterious reddish eyes of hers.
"I said," Kenyon pointed out. "That the Games are more complex than you imagine,"
Boring. "Will you actually teach me?" She asked. In depth, she felt that the guard was messing around. And she couldn't have that. There was something on the line.
"It seems as if you are uninterested," Kenyon remarked.
The princess grew defensive. Her thoughts had drifted apart, nothing else. They immediately went to her unconscious brother, laying on a flat bed in the Healer's tent. If she wanted to actually have a chance, she needed to focus.
"I assure you, Sir, I am not" She looked straigth into his emerald green eyes, and blinked when her reflection shone upon her. They were on the middle of the Arena, the hours of the day were passing by and no sign of improvement.
"Very well," The guard said, smirking at her. "The first element of the train will be to enhance your physical activity,"
Arielle seemed to be taken aback. However, the guard continued, dismissing her surprised stance.
"Yes, your highness," He confirmed, and Arielle breathed in. "Now, run."
Her eyes grew huge. She was no longer in a dress, but simply wore her garnments to train with her father, which, she thought, would give her some advantage.
"Are you deaf, soldier?!" He barked, his previously relaxed demeanor slipping through the cracks, like sweat. "I ordered you, to run, ten times, around the Arena. NOW!"
Arielle didn't give herself time to think, as she hurriedly moved her legs in order to obey.  But, before she started, she heard Kenyon commenting,
"To be honest," He shook his head again, at the weird way the princess run across the field. "You would be my first choice as substitute,"