38.

Avery Callum
Screaming Match

✰✰✰

I groaned as I slowly blinked my eyes open, my head throbbing with each beat of my heart. The bright sunlight streaming through the curtains only intensified the pounding in my temples.

I winced as I tried to sit up. Fuck.

The shrill ringtone of my phone pierced through the haze of my headache, and I fumbled to pick it up, my hands trembling slightly. "Hello?" I answered groggily, trying to shake off the traces of sleep.

"Avery, what the hell happened last night?" Jude's voice crackled through the line, sharp and accusatory.

Confusion clouded my thoughts as I struggled to piece together the events of last night. "What are you talking about?" I managed to croak out, my voice hoarse from sleep.

"Trent told me you left the party with Rashford," Jude snapped, his tone laced with frustration. I think I was fully awake now.

For fuck's sake Trent.

My heart sank as his words sank in. "That's not true," I protested, my mind racing to recall the events of the night before. "We only stepped outside for some air. He was just being a gentleman helping me."

"Helping you?" He said, well shouted. My eyes opened a little more, he has never spoken to me like this before. He sounded mad, even angrier than how he gets on the field.

"Yes! Helping me. I had a lot to drink. More than I should've. He offered me some water and we stepped outside for some fresh air. I don't know what Trent told you. But that's all that happened" I was annoyed plus my headache was booming.

"I can't believe you right now, I am so disappointed really" He said, and now I was getting mad.

"You are being ridiculous, you're mad because I stepped outside for fresh air?!" I raised my voice a little but then that also didn't help my headache.

"Matter of fact, fuck Trent and Fuck Levi. Matter of fact fuck the entire England! Because I have no idea what that goon fed you. My head is tearing off I will not be doing a screaming match with you Jude. Because you have lost your damn mind, so when you find it you can call me"

Jude's anger did not soften not even slightly at my explanation, his frustration was still evident in his voice. "I stepped outside that's all that happened." He said mocking me.

"That's not all that happened Avery Marie Callum. And what about your phone huh?" he demanded. "I heard you talking to him, saying you didn't want to be known as my girlfriend. What happened after that care to fill in the gaps?"

Now I was really lost for words.

I felt a surge of panic rise within me as I realized what must have happened. He's reacting poorly from something I said that he clearly took out of context. "Jude, I can explain," I began, but he cut me off before I could continue.

"You talk to him about this before me?" His voice was incredulous, without seeing him I could see the look on his face.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart as Jude's words echoed through the phone. "No, that's not what I meant," I repeated, my voice trembling slightly with frustration. "I was just trying to explain to Marcus that I work hard and that I want to be recognized for my own accomplishments. It wasn't about you, Jude."