Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"Do you think we'll be a family forever?" I asked shyly.

Dad stopped for a moment and I heard Momma cough suddenly. Momma looked at me with a concerned look.

"Hun, what makes you think we won't?" Dad said softly as he stopped to look at me. He leaned down to my height. I couldn't stop the tears from building up in my eyes.

"...I just heard you guys arguing and...and Phoebe said whenever her parents argued. Her momma never came back for long days." I stuttered. I began to sob loudly.

I could hear Mom's faint laughter. "That's because Dallas is a whore and-"

"Ashely, I told you about those words and getting in those people's business." Dad said quickly turning his head to look at my mother for a moment. Mom cleared her throat and put her focus elsewhere.

"Listen, buddy, Phoebe's folk are just going through a rough patch. Fighting is normal, it helps build a foundation. Make something stronger and it shows you care about the other person. I love your mother with all my heart, I could never leave her. You fight because you want things to work out. Okay?" Dad said slowly but sternly. His comforting grip on my shoulders.

I pushed my body into his. Hugging him tightly.

End of Flashback.

I blew out a breath. Despite what he did to my family. He was still my father, someone I loved and respected. So, I liked to think that maybe he was right about the whole...fighting build's foundation and all that crap. Maddison deserved the fighting, she wanted a friendship. Yet, I had gone about it the wrong way. So, things blew up because of me.

I'm not one to make the first move on these types of things but...I felt bad for hurting Maddison the way I did. I shouldn't have taken the rougher route with her. So, this is why I'm doing this. I cringed but...I knew it would make her understand. I didn't know why but part of me felt like I needed forgiveness. Did I deserve it? Probably not.

Anyway, I knocked and hoped I could fix everything. If not make it normal again. People like me don't have the opportunity to have many do-overs. When Maddison opened the door, she didn't look happy at all. It was to be expected though. Her eyes lacked that twinkle she always had. She didn't look pretty when she frowned like that. I- Did I just say pretty? I shook my head and focused on the words that I needed to say.

"Hey." I said lowly.

"...Henry, what are you doing here? Here to get another paycheck?" She bit out harshly, arching her eyebrow.

I guess I deserved that.

"No. I'm here to talk to you." I said rubbing the back of my neck. Conversations like these weren't difficult or necessary with Phoebe. She just brushed it underneath the rug and apologized with a stupid movie and candy.

Maddison's frown dropped and she sighed and stepped outside. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"I know earlier was horrible. And we both said things. I just wanted to apologize because that's what...friends do. If you still want to be my friend, I'd like to show you something." I said with a closed-lipped smile. As I waited for a type of response. I took a moment to actually look at Maddison. Her brown eyes were dulled and she lacked those perky tendencies she had usually. It was kind of depressing. It was like looking at a painting that had been rained on.

"...Now you wanna be friends? After pulling away for so long?" She asked seriously with an eye roll.

"I know and I am sorry about that. I'm just not used to you and what your concept of friendship might be. I never had this except once and I'm just...nervous. That's why I'm trying this time. No games." I said quickly, I took a deep breath as I reached for her hand.