32

"Gato, come over here," Chris's father called over.

An eight year old Chris ran over, her Tom & Jerry t-shirt stained with mud. "What it is Papa?" She asked.

"Lay down here." Chris's father motioned to the earthy ground. "On your stomach."

Chris did that and her father laid next to her. "What are we doing?" She asked.

"Just listen," her father replied.

Chris's toes tapped restlessly against the ground. "Lay still gato, or you won't hear it," her father said. Chris's foot stopped moving.

"What are we listening for?" Chris asked.

"Your abuela, my mama, would always take me out in the grassy fields of Mexico to listen to Mother Earth breathe," her dad answered.

"Really?" Chris asked.

Her father nodded. "But you must be patient and quiet."

Chris did just that. She laid there for a while before she heard it. The wind rustling in the wind sounded like breathing, and Chris feels like the earth was slowly rising and falling.

"Woah," she breathed. "I feel it Papa."

"It's calming isn't it?" Her father asked. Chris nodded.

"Whenever you feel down in the dumps gato, just come out here and listen to Mother Earth's breath. It can always make you feel better," he explained.

Chris smiled. "Ok Papa."

{}{}{}{}{}{}

My eyes fluttered open as I was shaken awake. I tried talking but all that came out was tired "meh."

"Come on, Mae's found something," Darius said.

I blinked a few times and realized I was the only one asleep, or was.

"How long was I out?" I asked as I sat up.

"I don't know, but once you hit that sofa you were out," Darius answered. "Like, literal rag doll motion."

I chuckled and stood up. We then walked over to Mae.

"Okay, after careful analysis of the nutrient samples, I've discovered alarmingly high levels of receptor antagonists, as well as adrenal additives. These must be the cause of the elevated combative state of the animals who've ingested them," Mae explained.

"Dude, what the heck is she taking about?" Kenji asked.

"All I got was 'dinosaurs do cocaine'," I said.

"Ugh! The T-rex food's been tampered with. They're adding things that make the dinos more aggressive, and inhibits their ability to feel pain," Mae explained.

"Like I said, 'dinosaurs do cocaine'," I repeated.

"Mantah Corp is the worst," Sammy scowled.

"Why would they do that?" Darius asked.

"I have no idea. But it seems more important than ever to get you kids off the island," Mae replied.

"No argument here," Kenji agreed before coughing.

"Are you feeling okay?" Brooklynn asked.

"Always. Something just caught in my throat," Kenji answered.

"Great, trying to get off yet another island," Brooklynn groaned.

"At least we have an adult that isn't trying to kill us this time," I pointed out.