41

We stood by the entrance of the garden as we waited for our guests to arrive. H's hand rested on the small of my back. I looked to my father for direction as a group of men and women came into view, they were walking on the pathway leading from the dock. They wore fancy suits and extravagant dresses in different colors. They were dressed to perfection. The group varied in age, some were around my age and others were older. 

"Be respectful but do not allow them to talk over you and pay attention to who is speaking." My father whispered to me. My Nonna was at the head of the small crowd. She wore an elegant dark, green dress that went down past her knees. Her hair was in a tight ponytail and her makeup was done. 

"Skyler. You look beautiful." She smiled as she gave me a hug. She kissed my cheeks before she continued walking towards the table. We had brought it outside and set up earlier that day. There was one large rectangular table set with fine dining cutlery and plates. The table was in different pieces but once they came together, it created a whole. It could seat at least 20 people. It was made from a dark oak wood; it shimmered and glistened in the lights that hung over our heads in the garden. The ground keepers had constructed mason jars into lanterns. They were hung from the trees by thick twine and rope. 

I greeted each guest as they introduced themselves to me before they took their seat at the table. Once the last one had greeted me, I turned to follow them to the table. Each one stood at their assigned seat. A folded card with a name sat on each of their plates. 

"Thank you all for coming tonight. I know it was on such a short notice, but there are things we must discuss tonight. Before my family returns to America." My Nonna spoke loudly, getting everyone's attention. 

"Please, take your seats." She continued. H and I made our way to two chairs that were seated next to the head of the table. My Nonna sat at one side, which was the side we were sitting on. And a older man was at the opposite end. He was dressed in a dark red suit. His skin was aged, and his eyes were dark. His name was Michelangelo Delgotta.

From observing him and the way he carried himself, he was a powerful person. Witch explained why he was at the other head of the table. 

"You may begin. You have our full attention." He said, his accent was thick. It sounded like he was Russian. 

"We know of the war that went on in New York. To help eliminate future troubles, I would like to make an alliance." My Nonna explained.

"Between what? Our operations in America?" The older man asked.

"Yes. All I ask in return is protection for my family. To help them in times of need." She proposed.

"What would we get in return? What can you offer us?" He squinted before taking a sip of his wine.

"We are diverse in many different trades. We have access to a lot of different resources. We could start by connecting you to some of our arm-dealers." My father spoke.

"And all you ask for is protection?" Michaelangelo asked, rubbing his chin. He looked around the table, exchanging looks with the other guests.

"Yes." My Nonna nodded.

"Then it's settled. You have our protection." He agreed.

"We will seal our agreement in a blood oath. Each clan leader will sign." Nonna smiled.

Everyone agreed on this. I glanced at H, feeling more relived and relaxed now that the hard part was over.

"Let's enjoy our meal, together in celebration of our new alliance." My father smiled, holding his glass of wine up. A series of clinks were heard from around the table.

We drank wine and talked with each other. We went over the details of our agreement after dinner.

The Italian Mafia would still hold their title of lead clan in New York. But we would have help from the Russian Mafia, Japanese Yakuza, and Irish Mob when it came to business. If we needed extra men, they would come.

If we needed protection, they would provide it and defend us.

The Sicilian would also provide their assistance if called upon. We were well connected, better than before.

For once I felt calm. I felt safe. With Vincent gone, we were finally free from fear