chapter 15

As I went about my tasks in the demon kingdom, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed another demon approaching me. His graceful gait and piercing gaze immediately put me on edge. He didn't wear the royal attire, but there was something about him that hinted at authority.

He stopped in front of me, his eyes narrowing as he studied me. "And who might you be?" he asked, his voice carrying a hint of suspicion.

I tried to maintain a calm facade, but my heart was racing. "I'm just a new servant here," I replied, my voice steady but my nerves on edge.

The demon raised an eyebrow, his gaze lingering on me for a moment longer than I felt comfortable. "A servant, you say?" he questioned, his tone laced with doubt.

"Yes, that's right," I answered, trying my best to appear nonchalant.

He seemed unconvinced, taking a step closer as he scrutinized me further. My mind raced, trying to come up with an explanation that wouldn't blow my cover. I couldn't afford to reveal my true identity as a human in the demon kingdom.

Just as I was beginning to feel trapped, a familiar figure appeared beside me. It was the head servant, a woman who had been kind to me since my arrival. She looked at the other demon with a calm expression, her aura radiating authority.

"Is there a problem here? Your highness." she inquired, her voice cool and collected.

"I was just curious about this new servant," he replied.

The head servant cast a knowing glance at me before turning her attention back to the "highness". "Elvira is new here, but she is under my watch. You need not worry about her."

The prince's gaze remained fixed on me, an intensity that sent a shiver down my spine. "Very well," he repeated, his voice holding a note of finality. "I believe this new servant shall serve in my chambers from now."

My heart sank at his words, realizing that I was now under the direct attention of a member of the royal family whom I have no clue about. I exchanged a quick glance with the head servant, who seemed equally concerned.

"Your Highness, I understand your request, but tasks and assignments are typically handled by Behomath," the head servant spoke up, her tone respectful but firm. "He is in charge of organizing the duties of the servants."

The prince's lips curled into a faint smile, a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes. "Ah, Behomath," he mused, his voice carrying a tinge of condescension. "I assure you, I have the authority to make such decisions."

The head servant's expression tightened, a hint of concern crossing her features. "Of course, Your Highness," she replied, her voice carefully neutral. "But it is his role to oversee these matters. I will make sure to discuss this with him- and Elvira is currently assigned to Prince Auzrael."

I held my breath, hoping that her words would be enough to dissuade the prince from his decision.

But the head servant's words seemed to strike a nerve, and a flicker of annoyance crossed the prince's features. His brows furrowed, and his tone took on an edge of impatience. "Are you questioning my authority, Head Servant?" he retorted, his voice laced with a sharpness that cut through the air.

The head servant's gaze held steady, her expression a mix of deference and resolve. "No, Your Highness, not at all," she replied, her voice unwavering. "I merely wish to ensure that proper protocols are followed and that tasks are assigned according to the established procedures."

The prince's lips curled into a cold smile, his eyes narrowing as he regarded her. "It seems you forget your place, Head Servant," he replied, his voice dripping with a biting condescension. "You would do well to remember that your authority is limited to the organization of menial tasks. Matters involving servants of higher rank fall under my purview."