Breaking the News

Start from the beginning

"I did," Charlie's shoulders heaved. He waved his arms seemingly lost. My nose burned and I sniffed. Tears continued to trickle down. I was surprised they didn't freeze on my face.

"Bill," he said, angrily. Bill nodded.

"Yeah alright," in a snap Bill was holding his jaw and Charlie was shaking his hand.

"CHARLES!" Mrs. Weasley yelled running outside. The twins laughed so hard they fell over in the grass. "What were you thinking?" She asked hands are her hips.

"Mom, it was my thought. Leave Charlie alone," she looked at Bill shocked.

"William!" She didn't sound mad anymore. I stepped forward.

"I suppose it could also be my fault, I told Bill I was leaving for America before I told Charlie," Mrs. Weasley now looked confused.

"America? For how long, when?" I shrugged.

"I don't know, at least until the end of my schooling and January first. I sent a letter to my parents saying I was here," she hugged me tightly. I didn't tell them how they were disappointed I was with the Weasleys.

"Oh, dear," she muttered. I smiled as my tears fell on her shirt. "Well then I'm glad you came for break this year," she patted my cheek and walked back to the house. Bill had fixed his jaw and Charlie was apologizing.

"I didn't think I would hit you that hard," he said. Bill waved him off as he laughed.

"It's alright, I know where you're coming from," I walked over, shivering. My face was wet and red and I was cold.

"Boys this is touching, but I'm about to freeze," I said hugging myself. Charlie scoffed.

"You're fine, come here," he opened his arms and I walked in front of him. He wrapped his arms around me and continued to talk with Bill. His bare arms were strong and warm. I watched the sky over Bill's shoulder. The sun was shining down, but didn't warm me. I shivered and turned around in his arms and buried my head in his chest. He laughed, it came from deep in his chest, and shook my head. It made me smile, I loved his laugh. I sniffed, I didn't want to leave this. Him. I didn't want to leave him. 

I pulled away and looked at Charlie with my mouth slightly open. He looked down expectingly. He was so close, and half of me wanted to kiss him then but I didn't, I just smiled. He grinned and kissed my forehead. I smiled and turned back around. He still held me tight in his arms. It was comforting and warmed me from the inside out.

"Why don't you two go in, I'll finish this soon," Bill said gesturing to the field. The twins were laughing and Ron was gone.

"Bill, where's Ron?" he rolled his eyes.

"I'll find him, he's somewhere," he said waving it off. I laughed and looked at Charlie.

"Inside?" I asked. He nodded. I ran quickly to the warmth inside. When I got inside Mrs. Weasley surprised me by handing me a cup of hot chocolate.

"Here you are, to warm the bones," I took it thankful.

"Thank you, Mrs. Weasley. I hope you know I love your sons and I really don't want to leave Hogwarts," she tapped her nose, smiling.

"I know dear, just know that you're always welcome back at The Burrow," with how much crying I'd done in the past week I didn't think I had any tears left, but they slowly came.

"Thank you," I muttered looking at the milky brown liquid in my hands, warming me up.

"No at all, off you go to the fire," I nodded and left as Charlie ran in. "Charlie, snow on my floor!" She said exasperated. She started again so I left. I laughed as I sat by the fire on the couch. The fire was cracking and mesmerizing. My worries disappeared for a moment as the fire danced.

"Hello!" Ginny said loudly. I jumped at the noise.

"Ginny, hello," I said. She sat next to me.

"So we just watch it?" She asked. I shrugged.

"If you like, some people will sit right down by it and get a close look, other people will poke it and make it send embers, and some just listen with their eyes shut, it's whatever's to your liking," she nodded then flashed me a toothy grin.

"Is Charlie to your liking?" She asked suddenly. I choked on my hot chocolate. I looked at her smiling as I tried to catch my breath.

"Yes," I wheezed and cleared my throat."Yes, very much so," she nodded.

"Good, mine too. Do you fancy him?" She asked smirking like the twins. I rolled my eyes.

"I think I do, but that's my business," I said.

"What's your business?" Charlie asked, sitting next to me. My heart skipped a beat. Ginny looked at me and I shook my head. She nodded.

"Nothing," she said. I gave her a high five and looked back at him.

"What took so long?" I asked, leaning back. He looked at us oddly.

"First you tell Bill something before me and now Ginny knows something I don't? Miss St James, what will I do with you?" He said leaning back and putting his arm over my shoulders. I shrugged.

"It's girl stuff," I said, confidently. He rolled his eyes.

"Alright fine," he said, sipping his hot chocolate. "I don't want to know," I smiled successfully. 

——————

Christmas came and I sat that evening with the whole Weasley bunch. The fire burned in front of us. I watched it smiling. I was giving Bill and Charlie their presents later in the day as I didn't have presents for the others. The presents were small but precious. At the end of the night the twins were snickering in the corner for some reason, Percy and Bill were reading their new books, and Ron and Ginny were playing with their toys separately. 

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had left to get something and put Bill in charge for the meantime. Charlie and I sat together watching the fire. His arm was around my shoulder and my head rested on his chest. I had my eyes closed and an arm thrown over him. I soon slipped off to sleep and didn't hear their parents return.

"Oh my," Mrs. Weasley gasped.

"Mom, please," Bill said. "They're fine," he said. Charlie hushed them.

"She's had an exhausting day," Charlie muttered.

"I think it's alright Molly, love. They aren't doing any harm," Mr. Weasley said. Mrs. Weasley hummed.

"The poor dear," she said. "Here, each of you open," Charlie took both packages and opened his with one hand.

"Thanks, mom," he said. "I'll put it on when she wakes," he said.

"We can wake her," the twins said.

"Over my dead body," Charlie said. I hummed and huddled deeper into him. He laughed and squeezed me.

"Charlie," His mother said, warningly. He sighed. I woke up and heard him.

"Mom, we aren't shagging. We haven't kissed, we aren't even together yet," he said.

"Molly, they're okay, let the dear sleep," Mr. Weasley said. I kept my breathing steady as they continued talking.

"Mom, why is mine blue?" Ginny asked.

"Because that's what I chose," she said. "Only a few more minutes then bed," she said. "Charlie you might want to wake Kaitlyn," she said. I heard her stand and a few others stand.

"Alright, couldn't I just carry her up?" Mrs. Weasley sighed.

"Yes, dear just be smart," she said. He nodded and I felt him stand.

"Bill, grab her sweater?" he asked. I let myself shut down again.

"Got it," Bill said. I was safe and taken care of. He set me on his bed and pulled away. I held to his shirt tightly. He grinned.

"Help," he whispered. Bill laughed.

"Just sleep there, it's not as big a deal as Mom makes it," I felt Charlie lay next to me and I sighed. I would love to fall asleep like this every night.