A Break Full of Surprises

I walked around the castle barefoot, something I only did on break. I spun my wand of smooth ash wood around my fingers. I was walking around a corner when the Headmaster called out,

"Miss St. James," I looked back and frowned.

"Yes, headmaster?" I asked. He walked to me and sighed.

"It is to my knowledge that you are pulling out this year to be transferred to the American school Ilvermorny," I looked at the man almost ashamed.

"I promise you I don't want to," I said without thinking. His eyes sparkled.

"Before you leave there are some things you should know," he started walking to his office. I followed him up to his office and sat by his desk. He fumbled around with a few things before he hummed and walked to his chair.

"Professor?" I said after a moment.

"The things I need to know?" He looked up and nodded.

"Kaitlyn your parents loved you very much," he said. I tilted my head.

"My parents are alive, sir," I muttered. He tilted his head.

"Not quite the parents who adopted you are alive," I slumped back in my chair, head spinning.

"The St. James?" I asked. He shook his head. "If I'm not their biological daughter why can't I leave them and stay here?" He shook his head.

"They adopted you by mistake but the paperwork was final. They needed an heir to their fortune but couldn't have kids so they adopted one," my breathing turned erratic.

"Can't I just stay? They don't want me why should they have a say in my life?" I cried. I didn't want to leave. I'd been fighting tooth and nail to stay since they told me this summer. Dumbledore shook his head.

"Unfortunately, that's not how it works," he said regretfully. I sighed. Nothing made sense anymore.

"Who are my parents?" I asked. He sighed.

"One is a convict and the other has passed," I scoffed.

"So, I am like an orphan," I grumbled.

"Well, of sorts. Let's just say, you should return when of age. Many will have missed you," I nodded and sat there, eyes watering.

"Is my dad a convict?" He nodded silently. I shook my head. "Is he really guilty?" He looked down.

"All the evidence says so, but I still struggle with it. He was one of the greatest men to walk these halls Kaitlyn," I shook my head.

"When I come back, can I know?" I asked. He nodded.

"You may know when the time is fit," he said. I sighed and stood. "Also there is a visitor for you," I tilted my head.

"Who?"

"Ahh!" He yelled. I screamed clutching my chest.

"Charlie!" I slapped him across the chest and then hugged him tightly. He hugged me back fiercely.

"You didn't think we'd let you spend the holiday alone, did you?" I pulled away.

"We?" I asked. He looked at Dumbledore grinning.

"Dumbledore said you could come to my house for Christmas," I was speechless. "Kait? Kaitlyn?" He shook me and I hugged him again.

"Thank you! Should I pack?" He nodded.

"Hurry and come back here as fast as you can we immediately," he said. I squeal and run to the Slytherin dorms.

When I got back Charlie was talking with Dumbledore. "Oh perfect," he said standing.