Chapter 20

Nixx

I figure I should probably stop staring at her at some point, but every time I try, my eyes whip right back, like magnets on a fridge. I can't help it.

Her little brown curls that rest along her shoulders, some rogue strands fluttering on her collarbone. Her little nose that scrunches every now and then with nerves. Her eyebrows that twitch downward every few seconds. The white t-shirt that leaves entirely too much to the imagination, the tight, pink cotten pants that beg my eyes to drift south. Brown swirls of curiosity that seem to twinkle in the light and-

And they're looking right at me.

I clear my throat, cheeks heating slightly as I shift my gaze to the plate in front of me. I shouldn't be embarrassed. She's my mate, but until I find a good time to reveal that little tidbit, I can't look like a complete creep staring at her.

Have you forgotten the way her eyes mapped out our entire body in the bedroom earlier? My wolf asks, voice full of a heat that grabs my desire right back out of its hiding place.

I had almost cleared my head of it until you so helpfully reminded me, I grit out.

I'm so happy to be of service. If I have to live with the feel of her body and eyes on us playing a repetitive circle in my head, then so do you.

I shift, trying to ease the growing warmth traveling somewhere I definitely don't want it right now.

You are such an ass sometimes, you know? I ask, irritated.

My reputation is very fragile. I have to keep it up at all times, lest you think I've forgiven you for shoving me in the recesses of your horrific mind, my wolf says with a shudder.

"Why do you all do that?" Noella asks, startling me back to the breakfast table.

I swallow, shift again, and fiddle with my hands all in an effort to get her body out of my head.

Would you rather I project a different image? My wolf asks. Perhaps naked would be better or-

I slam my walls up with a single, forceful shove.

"Do what?" I ask Noella.

She gestures at her eyes as she says, "Your eyes go all blurry. Almost like a mist is drawn over them."

Oh shit.

There's literally no explanation besides the one where I tell her I'm a wolf. I'm not ready for this. This time with her feels precious, withering with every minute that passes, and I want to soak up every second that she'll give me. I don't want to spend the little time I have left with her being scared of me.

I rub the back of my neck, mind scrambling and words desperately trying to form on my tongue but leaving before I can spit them out.

"I, umm-" I start, but am interrupted.

"I don't have time for this nonsense!" Comes a loud voice from behind the swinging door that leads to the kitchen. "Don't you know the Luna is in that room, waiting for food that you are incapable of making?! I can't give my future leader a burnt pancake with even more burnt bacon! You fix it, or I fix another person to your position. You understand?"

I knew I would regret telling my head cook about Noella being my mate, but when she got suspicious of my keeping a human girl around, I had to give her something. Plus, after I told Cara, my head maid, she was bound to spill it to Marlene sometime. Those two gossip more than two old ladies out to tea after five years apart.

Stuttered mumbles on the other side come from a frightened sounding boy, and then Marlene is walking through the door, bright pink apron tied around her waist and red hair pulled up into a bun on the top of her head.

"I am sorry," she says, her accent clinging to the words. "I hired a new assistant yesterday, and he still needs some practice. Your patience would be very appreciated."

Noella smiles, her effortless charm making my heart beam with pride at the fact that I might get to lead beside her one day.

"Of course," She says brightly. "In fact, I'm rather good at cooking and could help-"

"No, no!" Marlene looks horrified as she says, "That would be incredibly improper. I will have the food ready soon, I promise."

And then she's gone again, lightning fast.

Noella just stares at the door she left through, a dazed look on her face.

"Improper?" She finally asks quietly. "Are you guys like, royalty or something?"

A chuckle breaks free, and an even more confused look graces her features.

"No, not royalty," I say. "Marlene is just quite fond of new guests, and she hates disappointing them in the food department."

She makes a humming sound, face contemplating as she looks to the door again.

"So, how many people live in this giant building?"

I smile, loving that she's getting more comfortable here and asking questions.

"Well, despite its size, it's really only Marlene, my head cook. Cara, my head maid. Rowan, when he pleases. Tristan, if he feels up to it, and then just a few other people who help around with the upkeep."

Her eyes look awed as she asks, "Then why is it so big? This place could house like a hundred people if you wanted."

I glance around the place with an appreciation that appears anytime I take a second to stop and look.

"I actually don't know why it's so big. It was built before even my father's father was born. It's been here forever. Maybe all of these rooms were filled at one point, but as time went on, people slowly started to trickle out."

There's a kind of warmth in her gaze when I look back that has tingles erupting up my neck, aware of every second her eyes stay on my body. Aware of every ounce of attention she gives me.

"You talk with a sense of purpose," she starts, cheeks turning the lightest shade of pink. "Like no words can be wasted. Like every sentence is a story needing to be told. It's admirable."

My heart throbs, light and heavy all at once.

My eyes drift down without my permission, eyeing the plush pink lips I've denied myself the pleasure of looking at all morning, and her breath catches.

My gaze lifts again, only to find that her eyes are staring at my lips, and I barely restrain a smirk from lifting as I lean closer. Just one touch. One graze to ease the incessant desire eating away at my mind. One taste to lift the pressure of want from my heart. One brush to ease the fog of heat in my head. Just one-

"Two perfect breakfasts coming through!" Marlene announces as the door swings open.

I settle back in my seat, ignoring the way my heart pulses with disappointment.

I sneak a glance to the side and am relieved to see that my disappointment is not one sided.

Good to know this attraction goes both ways. Now we just need to see how to expand it into something more.