Does the ghostly groom want him for his vitality?

Yet, on a day when Ji Lianyun was massaging his feet, he also felt weak.

Is this weakness from soaking his feet, causing drowsiness, or is it the weakness from having his vitality drained by ghosts? If it's the latter, then is Ji Lianyun not human either?

"What are you thinking?" Ji Lianyun reached out and touched Tang Ning's furrowed brow. "You can tell me if there's anything bothering you. Maybe I can help alleviate your worries."

He was so caring and gentle that it made Tang Ning feel close to him, reminding Tang Ning of Mo Yunchu from the past. Mo Yunchu's actions also revealed a sense of strangeness, leaving Tang Ning unable to figure him out.

Tang Ning looked at Ji Lianyun seriously. "Would you lie to me?"

"Why would I lie to you?" Ji Lianyun asked.

He sounded sincere.

But even if he was lying, Tang Ning couldn't refute him.

Tang Ning took Ji Lianyun's hand and placed it on his left chest, looking timidly at the slightly puzzled Ji Lianyun. "If you lie to me, my heart will ache."

The fingertips on his chest trembled slightly.

Ji Lianyun's expression showed no apparent change, or perhaps there was, but Tang Ning couldn't discern it. Tang Ning didn't want to speculate anymore. He asked earnestly, "Ji Lianyun, why were you tiptoeing last night?"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The tiny drumbeats of his heart reverberated through his fingertips to Ji Lianyun's, who lowered his gaze to Tang Ning. "I'm not sure either."

"When I opened my eyes, I only saw you. I wanted to get closer to see you. Although I am aware, at that moment—" Ji Lianyun paused for a moment, explaining delicately, "it was like the self in a dream, where actions may deviate slightly from reality. I was in that state at the time."

"It wasn't until I saved you that I woke up as if from a deep slumber."

Is that so?

Tang Ning and Ji Lianyun locked eyes. The rhythmic drumbeats echoed once again, indicating new mourners had arrived.

Tang Ning released Ji Lianyun's hand, finished the remaining half-bowl of porridge, and as Ji Lianyun crouched down to help him put on his shoes, Tang Ning picked up his phone and shared what Ji Lianyun had told him in the group.

Han Ankang: "If what Ji Lianyun said is true, then the one who saved you might very well be the ghostly groom."

Lin Yun: "We need to quickly determine who has more control over the ghosts, because we're going to attempt the funeral tomorrow, which is the biggest crisis in this simulation."

Tang Ning put down his phone and walked out of the room with Ji Lianyun. He saw many people moving around at the entrance of the memorial hall. Some of the NPCs looked familiar to Tang Ning, some were villagers who helped set up the memorial hall when Tang Hengxian and Han Yunian were hanged, and a few...

Huh? Aren't these villagers from Ji's village?

They solemnly knocked the mourning drum, behaving no differently from the other mourners, even more ceremonious, holding pig heads and geese as offerings.

Tang Ning found it strange to see them like this.

Since Ji's village had lost its livestock a long time ago, it seemed unlikely that the freshly slaughtered pig heads and geese were from their village. Did they purchase them from elsewhere?