CH. 12 Revelry and Revelations

Aurora

I fluttered my eyes open to see the grass beside me swaying in the breeze. Grey clouds showed between the branches of the trees as I looked upward. I sat up, and instantly, a wave of dizziness hit me; I shut my eyes tight and rolled my neck.

"Good morning," Kelvin said. I looked to see him cooking some fish on the fire. "How did you sleep?" I blinked a few times and scanned my surroundings. Nicolas' blanket and the black cloak I had worn when I escaped the palace covered my legs.

"I think I slept okay..." I met his gaze again to see he looked a mix of concerned and amused. "What happened?" My eyes widened as I remembered how drunk I'd been. Blurs of the tavern and the men cheering crossed my mind, then falling asleep in his arms.

"You got a little drunk and had me thrown out of the local pub." His eyes glittered with amusement, and there was a half smile on his face. It was then I remembered seeing him bump his head as the ruffians in the bar threw him out, and I winced inwardly.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't thinking straight!" He laughed for a few moments and then shook his head.

"Don't apologize; that was one of the most amusing moments of my life." His eyes sparkled as he smiled again, and I looked away. I rolled my neck again, feeling some tension and a bit of pain. "Headache?" I nodded. "I'll get you some water." He untied something from his horse's saddle, walked over to me, and handed me the canteen.

"Thank you," I said as I took the flask and took a sip; the water brought a cool, refreshing sensation to my insides, and I began chugging faster.

"Easy! You don't want to throw up again, do you?" I handed him the canteen and inhaled, shaking my head. I pushed myself to my feet and folded Nikki's blanket while letting my cloak hang on my arm. "Do you think you're ready to get home?" He asked, and I looked up at him in surprise.

"No! I- we have come such a long way. We're almost at the city of Alpharion." He furrowed his brows.

"Why Alpharion?" I sighed as another wave of pain went through my head.

"There are rumors that some former Kai-gons who renounced their beliefs were placed there." He nodded in understanding.

"I'll set Hercules up, and we can start in a few minutes. But first, I want you to eat some fish." He gestured to the fish hanging on a stick over the fire. "I'll get you some more water." He walked over to the stream; I noticed he wore a dark blue vest today.

The Nilsen colors. Was it an indirect message to me about his loyalty to Rose? Why did it matter? I could care less... Then, I noticed Finder lying under one of the trees; the dog's light blue eyes stared at me. I felt a little bad about running away the way I did. I hoped Nicolas was okay, too; I wondered if Camilla was taking good care of him. I grabbed one of the fish and began nibbling on it, trying not to get any bones in my mouth.

"How is it?" Kelvin asked as he returned; he placed the closed canteen filled with water next to my teal skirt. I nodded, telling him it was good. After about twenty minutes, we finished our fish, and Kelvin put the fire out. He folded Nicolas' blanket and put it in his saddle bag, and I walked over to the stream to wash my face.

I stood up and noticed some liquid on my chest. I inwardly panicked when I realized it was breastmilk. I sighed in frustration; what was I going to do now? It spread across my dress, and I covered myself with my arms. As if Kelvin sensed there was something in the matter, he called out.