Ch. 9: Sanctuary

"We aren't going to be able to outrun them for very long," Grover stated as they speed-walked between the city buildings. Jinora kept looking over her shoulder every now and then, walking behind Annabeth and Percy with Grover taking the lead.

"We don't need to," Annabeth told them. "We just need a safe place to hold up."

"Some place safe," Percy repeated skeptically. "Any ideas where we might find one of those."

Annabeth adjusted the strap on the bookbag. "I do. A sanctuary dedicated to Athena by one of her demigod children a long time ago."

"There's an Athenian temple hidden somewhere in the middle of downtown St. Louis?"

"Yes, except it's not all that hidden."

They turned a corner and looked up as the Arch came into view. Annabeth led them straight to the structure and, of course, began spouting off facts about it.

"It's six hundred thirty feet wide, six hundred thirty feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The Arch is held up by symmetry. It's held up by math. And," Annabeth concluded, "it's earthquake-proof so Poseidon can't ruin it."

"It's amazing," Jinora whispered out as she looked up at the structure.

"Nice," Percy said blandly.

"Excuse me," Annabeth said as she walked through a crowd, like students on a field trip. She returned the focus of the conversation back. "This is how you show Athena your love. A monument to the power of perfection."

"It's a monument to some other stuff, too," Grover added, looking at the other artifacts layed out in front of them.

"You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about," Annabeth corrected him. "I'm talking about what it actually is."

"Whatever," he mumbled. "We're safe here, right?"

Annabeth nodded. "No monsters can enter. Not even Echidna. We're safe."

"Great. Well, since our last train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another one we can get tickets on. We can't stay forever. Just because we're prey doesn't mean we need to be helpless."

Grover turned and walked away, looking for a ticket station while Jinora, Percy, and Annabeth stayed by some of the historical tours.

"He doesn't like it when people mess with animals," Percy told them. Annabeth shifted on her feet, regretting the tone she took with him.

"I know," she said. "I shouldn't have snapped at him, I just...I know."

Jinora looked around at the different surrounding exhibits and frowned. She hadn't ever really thought about Grover's perspective before, but seeing this and putting herself in his shoes, she could understand.

Percy sighed softly. "So, this is your mom's place? Wonder if she's around?"

Annabeth looked off to the side and huffed, not necessarily because of Percy's question. She couldn't stop thinking about what Medusa had said. While she still had that loyalty and love to her mother, there was something about what she had said that stuck with her.

"Be right down, just going to the potty," Percy said in a higher pitch tone and posh accent. Jinora laughed quietly, and Annabeth couldn't help the smile that grew on her face. She chuckled softly as Percy looked around like he was searching for the owner of the voice.

"Nice."

Percy shrugged. "I have a gift."

Annabeth chuckled and shook her head at him.