chap 17 - denial

april had woken up that morning to her hair being matted and it stuck to her face. her head pounded with a hangover and her throat felt dry. april had almost forgotten what happened the previous night but then she saw her reflection in the tv. her eyes were red raw and bloodshot and way more swollen than humanly possible.

agh yes. she remembered now.

the familiar feeling of panic set in again and she felt the urge to cry once more. she told herself she wouldn't. although she didn't know if that was her own choice or if it was because she was unable to cry because there were no more tears left.

her stomach twisted into knots and her throat closed up as she reached for her phone. the phone screen illuminated before her. nothing. no texts. her brother hadn't responded. 

suddenly the phone felt like it was burning in her hand and she slammed it back down. she refused to look at her phone as if the phone was the thing that had hurt her and that it wasn't her brother. 

she gazed out her window and caught a glimpse of a father and daughter. she felt herself literally split in half. her own father had said to her, and i quote, 'its all your fucking fault'

her gaze slid back to her phone and she stared at it. april internally cursed at herself and told herself to stop being such a fucking pussy and call him again.

aprils fingers trembled as she dialed his number again. her brother hadn't answered her phone anytime she had ever called him since their mum had died but that familiar unsettling feeling of hope settled again

as she heard the familiar sound of the call ringing out april remembered that hope was her only problem. hope had always lead her to disappointment. her brother had never answered her calls but everytime she called him there was still a shred of hope inside her that reassured her he would answer.

april picked up the pillow on her couch and slammed her face into it and let out a scream of frustration. why does she keep thinking he'll talk to her again?

she was such a fucking idiot.

~

it had taken april almost four hours to get ready today. and as april looked into her car mirror she was well aware it should not have taken that long for someone who still looked like utter shit.

her eye bags were so big they almost looked like a second pair of eyes, her lips were chapped and peeling and her hair was disheveled. there was unblended spots of concealer where you could tell april had to tried to cover the red puffiness surrounding her eyes.

it had taken april so long to get ready because everytime she thought about the fact she was going to see her dad today her hand trembled so hard she had to take a minute to herself to remind herself to breathe.

it had taken her twelve minutes to brush her teeth.

she tried to look at least somewhat presentable while getting ready but all hopes of that failed when her hand wouldn't stay still enough for her  to apply a bit of mascara. 

looks like she was going to have to try rock an 'el natural' makeup look.

when she looked out her car window it all flooded back to her in a blurry haze. 

she could see the window on the house that had lead into her rooms that she had snuck out of many times at night after her mum had died just so she could be by herself and so she wouldn't have to listen to her dads muffled sobs.