1.5 HOLDFAST, JASPER JORDAN

september 14 2149

september 14 2149

ARIA DARTED TO Wells. His face was bloody and he had a gash in his upper left arm.

"I'm fine, Aria." He tried to skirt around her to get to the dropship.

Aria gave him a hard stare. "Don't care. Sit. Wells gulped, but sat unhappily. She cleaned the blood of his face and arm with a wet rag. Luckily, Murphy had only managed to scratch him, and the cut wasn't too deep. Still, Aria didn't need it getting infected, she smeared some of the pine resin she had collected yesterday on it, she wished she had honey, and tied a makeshift bandage around it. "Try not to get into anymore knife fights, please."

"Will do." He laughed lightly as they walked to the dropship. Monty was on the ground floor so Aria let Wells carry on to see Clarke alone.

"How you doing?" The blonde softly knelt next to her friend, taking his hand in hers.

Monty didn't make eye contact. Aria deduced he was trying not to cry. "This can't be happening, right? I'm going to wake up and this is all some big joke."

Aria couldn't imagine if it had been her best friend, Beck, speared in front of her. How do you deal with that? "Clarke said he screamed when they moved him. He's alive, Monty. We can't give up hope, so holdfast."

Monty gave her a weak smile and nodded. "Holdfast."

"Come on, let's get him back." She shot him a hopeful half-smile, lightly bumping into his shoulder.

Clarke and Wells descended down the ladder. "You came back for reinforcements. I'm gonna help."

Clearly, the conversation had not gone well. "Clarke, he's right." Monty interrupted, "We need him. So far we're the only volunteers." So much for the grounders should worry about us. Weak.

"Look we're gonna need all the help we can get, so you two need to put aside your differences."

"I'm sorry, Monty, Aria, but you're not going either."

"Like hell I'm not!" They said in unison. Who was Clarke to tell them where they could and couldn't go.

"Jaspers like my brother. He's my best friend." Monty's voice shook, the thought of losing Jasper was one thing, losing him without trying to save him was another.

"You're too important!" Clarke rounded on them. "Monty, you were raised on Farm station and recruited by Engineering. Aria, you're a doctor and mathematician."

"So?" They snapped.

"So food and communication. Medicine and computers. What's up here..." Clarke tapped them on their foreheads. "It's gonna save us all."

Aria nearly growled at Clarke. "What's up here!" She knocked on her own head. "Is what's going to save Jasper. No one tells me who I treat or where. You are not your mother, Clarke. I don't take orders from you."