1.4 WE'RE NOT ALONE

september 14 2149

september 14 2149

WELLS HAD FOUND Aria early that morning to check she was okay. Apparently he had returned to the ravine after Murphy and the others left him alone but he couldn't find her.

"I'm fine, Wells." Aria insisted for the hundredth time. "He didn't even get my wristband."

She tried her hardest not to think of the night before. How Bellamy had pressed the gun to her head as she cried. Aria was used to feeling powerful and in control. In the operating theatre, a humans life hung in her hands. Her actions decided their fate. But last night? Aria was at the total mercy of Bellamy Blake. She hated that.

Wells didn't seem to believe her, but nodded. "Come on, let's bury them." They had decided to lay to rest the two boys that were killed in the landing yesterday.

It was tedious work. They'd found shovels in the dropship. They chatted as they worked, which was slightly macabre. "Really that's insane!" Aria laughed as Wells finished telling her a story about a family game night gone wrong that Clarke's family had hosted. "What happened there - with you two?"

The air became tense. "Not much to tell. She told me that her dad was planning on breaking the law and I told my dad."

The way he said it made Aria's eyes narrow. It just didn't make sense, Wells had been speaking about Clarke all morning, it was crystal clear he adored her.

Aria cocked an eyebrow, "Really?"

"It's complicated." Wells said defensively. He didn't need to elaborate, plus he was a terrible liar. Wells didn't turn Jake Griffin in.

"Right." Aria decided to drop it. "Here, help me with this." They had decided to undress the dead bodies, they'd need the clothes and resources. It felt wrong, but it was a necessity.

These were people. They had families, friends, dreams and feelings. She didn't even know their names.

The laid them to rest, Wells picked up a shovel to start covering them with dirt, but Aria stopped him.

She cleared her throat, "In peace, may you leave this shore." Wells joined in. "In love, may you find the next. Safe passage on your travels, until our final journey got the ground. May we meet again."

She wiped a stray tear from her face. She didn't even know these boys, but she supposed that was the point. They should have had their funeral words spoken by their loved ones, by people who knew them. Not strangers.

Wells placed an arm around her shoulder, Aria was grateful for the act of comfort. "Come on, let's get this finished."

They worked in silence for the remainder of the burial. It was a peaceful spot. Aria wished they could have seen the Earth. By the time they were finished, they were both slick with sweat. Aria was sure she stank, but a shower or even soap would have to wait.