1.1 TOUCHDOWN

september 13 2149

september 13 2149

THE APOCALYPSE CAME, 97 years ago the Earth was bombarded with nuclear missiles, flooding the Earth with simmering radiation - killing all life.

The only survivors, the remainder's of humankind, were aboard 12 space stations. They came together to form the Ark, where mankind must endure until the Earth is survivable once again.

Apparently today, was that day.

Aria panicked silently as she was forced into a single file line along one of cold grey corridors of the Ark. Her wrist still stung from the wristband a guard had secured to her when she was dragged from her cell. It reminded her of a handcuff, the fearful irrational animal in her head wanted it off. The rational part shut those thoughts down. She'd seen the glowing LEDs in its interior, it's biometric, measuring her vitals. Harmless.

"Come on, let's go." A different guard grabbed her by the arm, forcing her towards the ladder up ahead.

She wrenched her arm from him, "I can walk myself." She climbed the rungs, she didn't stop until she reach the top level. Rows of seats surrounded her, she picked one opposite a small screen, and fastened the bright red harness.

She tried to calm her breathing, as the other delinquents from the Skybox filled in. But that was easier said than done. As far as anyone knew there was still too much radiation on the blue planet, and as soon as they landed they would be exposed and their bodies would break down, their cells would ionise and their DNA would mutate, leading to painful slow deaths.

"I'll figure it out!" The last words her father had spoken to her ring in her head, "I'll get you out of this, Aria! I promise." While it was only less than week ago, it seemed like eons. "I will see you again."

Aria had to choke back a sob as she realised, she would never see her dad again. He was wrong. Somehow she had deluded her self into believing him. If she had even allowed her self to think of the other people she was leaving behind, she would break down, so she didn't.

Aria didn't want to die.

The dropship filled up. No one had told her that's what it was, but it was glaringly obvious. She recognised faces here and there, from classes and her short stint in the skybox. One of her oldest friends, Miller, sat next to her. They didn't say anything to each other, but he gripped her hand, as the drop ship lurched.

They'd met as kids in the mess hall. She'd known him most her life, now they would likely die together.

A silent understanding passed between them, they didn't want to die.