The man rubs his jaw, a smirk climbing on his lips.

"On the contrary, I think we can, you know, considering we already are," he says with amusement.

I grit my teeth, my jaw working as I tap my foot.

"Alright, Baldy, here's the deal. Mr. Boss man up there? He thinks I'm his daughter, but he's clearly insane! I'm not supposed to be here, so if you could just-"

Raucous laughter interrupts my words, and I glare at the bars. Nothing in this basement works in my favour.

"You think lying will get you out of here? Alpha Foxley isn't insane, and you are definitely his daughter. Now," he comes right up to the bars, so close that his lunch wafts up my nose. "Stop talking and sit still."

That word again...

"What does Alpha mean?" I ask.

His eyes turn skeptical.

"You really don't know?"

I sigh, my fingers pinching the bridge of my nose. I'm so done with this place.

"Would I be asking for information that is already residing in my head?"

His hands go up in mock surrender.

"So sorry, princess, no need to get snippy."

I scowl at him, thinking my question will go unanswered, but then he says, "It's a wolf thing. The Alpha is the leader of the pack. There's always one werewolf more dominant than the others. In a rogue case, the Alpha is usually group decided because ranks don't work on outlaws, and we picked your dad."

I almost gulp as my fear slowly creeps back in.

"My dad is a werewolf?"

My hands start to shake, tremors that start and won't stop. How did I not see the signs? Why didn't I connect the dots?

Baldy laughs again before saying, "Is that not knowledge that was residing in your brain? Sorry to burst your bubble, princess, but looks like daddy isn't the teddy bear you thought he was."

No, he really isn't.

In fact, nothing about my life is what it once was. So many shocks have been thrown at me that by know it's not so much shock as a gentle pulse.

I drop to the floor, my fingers starting a gentle pressure pattern on my head. It doesn't help the growing ache, but it does give me something to do.

"Those boys just don't know when to stop fighting. I swear it's like their little kids again every time an inconvenience occurs," my father's voice says as footsteps sound on the stairs.

The steps stop in front of my cell, a big sigh sounding.

"What is it now, Little Flower? Did Quint do something?"

"Hey!" Quint says, the slightest bit of panic in his voice. "This door has not been unlocked since you went to deal with the hooligans upstairs."

Silence stretches, pulling on space that's no longer there until finally, it snaps.

"You really are a monster," I whisper, a single tear trickling the length of my cheek.

"What is she talking about?" My father asks angrily, presumably at Quint.

Quint clears his throat before saying, "she asked what an Alpha was. One thing led to another, and know she knows you're a werewolf."

"She what?" My father asks, his voice dangerously low.

"I wasn't gonna lie to her! She was bound to find out sooner or later! I just made-"

His words end on a choke, and my head snaps up so fast it spins, the room tilting before righting itself and displaying my father.

The murderer.

"Dad no!" I shout, helpless as I watch the exact same scene from earlier take place. "Please, stop! I asked! It's my fault! He didn't do anything I didn't want! Please!"

His gaze locks on mine, my heart skipping when I notice his eyes are black, but still, I stare, my glare unflinching.

"Please," I beg. "Please don't kill him."

The black stutters, swirling and rolling until brown finally resurfaces, and oxygen finally reappears in the room.

Quint gags, falling to his knees, coughing and shaking from head to toe, his shoulders vibrating with the force of his hard breaths.

"I was only reminding him not to leave out key details," my father drawls, casual, as if he didn't just try to kill the man on the floor.

I take a deep breath, adrenaline still trying to settle.

"What details did he leave out? Your ability, perhaps? Don't worry, I'm well aware of it," I snap.

He smiles, the malice in it making my heart cringe.

"No, not my ability. That boy you seem to favour. I just thought you should know him and I share much the same qualities."

My eyes flit between his, trying and failing to read through the cracks before asking, "What are you talking about?"

His smirk is so smug it takes up all his features as he says, "What my dear Quint forgot to mention, is that Nolixx is also a werewolf."