"I needed some fresh air," I mumbled, my feeble attempt at an explanation.

"Fresh air won't do you any good if you catch a chill. Go inside and rest," Gilbert scolded, a hint of frustration lining his words.

"I just thought I could help you with the fence," I offered weakly, but his stern gaze made it clear that my assistance wasn't welcome in this moment.

"Ada, please. You need to take care of yourself," he insisted, his tone softening as he ushered me toward the warmth of our home.

As I retreated inside, I couldn't help but feel the weight of Gilbert's concern, mingled with the stress of not knowing where Sebastian was. The tension lingered in the air, unresolved and palpable. I watched as he went to visit his father's grave. He must miss him a lot.

He came back and started searching a desk in the hallway. "Where is it?" He grumbled.

"Need some help?" I ask.

"Found it!" He exclaims. "I will be back soon. You stay here and rest."

"Gilbert, I can walk-"

"Stay here. I've gotta do this. It will fix everything." He holds up the deed to the farm before kissing me on the forehead and dashing out the door.

What the heck just happened?

***

I laid at home doing absolutely nothing for a while, until I heard a knock at my door. I stood from my spot on the sofa and hobbled over to answer the door. I open the door to find Anne, Diana, Ruby, Moody, and Cole.

"Hello, Ada." Diana smiles. "Would you like to help us save Miss Stacy?"

"I—" They stare in expectancy. "How?"

"We're going to Charlottetown to purchase lightbulbs." Anne explains. "Want to come?"

"I sprained my ankle and I just..." I think about it for a moment. "Yes. Only if I can see Aunt Josephine."

***

"You didn't tell me we had to sneak onto a train!" I hiss as we wait at the tree line. "If I would've known you guys were broke I would've brought more money."

Anne pats my shoulder. "We will be just fine."

"All aboard!"

"Just fine? We're hopping a freight car!" I whisper, receiving a shush from Anne.

"I can't breathe." Diana sighs.

"We're all going to die." Ruby whines.

"It'll be fine. People do it all the time, I read about it in a book." Anne shrugs it off.

"A book? You've never done it?" Moody's look like they could pop out of his head.

"How hard could it be?" Anne watches as a man checks for people. "Just gotta get the timing right... I'll go first." She decides. The coast is clear. "It'll be fine."