"Yes," His face was blank but those beautiful eyes of his were dark, "I'll give you the best gift ever."

***

The grand halls of the Count's, my father's, house were adorned with opulent decorations, a lavish display befitting the celebration of my 18th birthday. The air was filled with the sweet scent of flowers, and the soft glow of candlelight

My father didn't really care that it was my birthday, he just used it as an excuse to invite some people for business deals. Events like these are always an excuse but who cares, we all get what we want from it.

The evening unfolded, the celebration commenced with a sumptuous feast laid out on long, ornate tables. Guests, adorned in elegant attire, mingled in the spacious rooms. As the night progressed, the clinking of glasses and the joyous hum of conversation filled the air. The Count's house staff moved through the crowd, ensuring that glasses were never empty, and the wine flowed freely.

I spent my time mostly with older aristocratic ladies of my age but I kept looking around to see where Hael was. Unfortunately I didn't get to see him.

He's not going around flirting with other ladies, is he? He's my slave, he should know his place.

No,

He just got out of the dungeon yesterday night. I'm sure he won't do something like that right the next day.

But something felt odd. Everyone present there seemed to have their faces flushed.

Was everyone drunk? That's stupid. No one was over drinking, so why? I looked around. Maybe I'm imagining it. There's no way people would get black out drunk altogether, not this early in the night.

I turned to look at the women in my circle and ignored the whole ordeal.

But it didn't take long for the party to end. Surprisingly. Everyone was drunk and all the guests had to leave early.

Even when I left the party hall, my world spun. I barely had a few sips of wine but I felt dizzy. I did somehow make it to the room but I passed out even before I could make it to the bed.

Odd

I barely had a glass myself, so why?

...

My eyes snapped open, startled by an unsettling noise that had pierced through the veil of my dreams.

What the-!?! The echo of a distant thud lingered in the air, disrupting the tranquility of the night. My heart raced as I sat up in bed, my senses on high alert yet my head spun. The darkness pressed in around me, and a cold sweat coated my skin.

I heard a scream

!?!?

Then it went quiet.

What's happening? Something feels wrong.

Ignoring the knots of fear tightening in my stomach, I stumbled out of the bedroom. A chilling premonition gnawed at the edges of my consciousness.

"Hael?" My voice wasn't coming out right, "Tracy!?" Noone responded to me.

As I ventured into the corridor outside my room, a strange odor invaded my senses. The air was thick with an acrid, metallic smell that made my stomach churn yet the hallways were empty.

Where is this rancid smell coming from??

Dread clung to me like a shroud as I moved cautiously through the eerily silent halls of the mansion. The usual soft creaks of the floorboards were replaced by an unsettling hush, broken only by the occasional murmur of the nocturnal breeze.

A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach as I descended the grand staircase to the first floor. The flickering candlelight seemed to cast long shadows that danced eerily on the walls, heightening my sense of unease. The air grew more oppressive with each step, and I could almost taste the tension in the atmosphere.

Reaching the bottom of the staircase, the sight that awaited me was a grotesque tableau of horror. Lifeless bodies lay strewn across the elegant foyer, their still forms bathed in an otherworldly pallor. The opulent surroundings now served as a macabre backdrop to a scene that defied reason.

I gasped, my hand flying to cover my mouth in a futile attempt to stifle the horror that threatened to escape. A cry caught in my throat as I stumbled backward, the enormity of the nightmare unfolding before me too much to comprehend.

I wanted to scream but my voice wouldn't come out

MY GOD!!! What happened here!?!?

My eyes darted frantically across the carnage, seeking an explanation for the unimaginable.

That's when I saw him—Hael, standing amidst the chaos. His bloody hand glistened in the dim light, and my father lay lifeless at his feet.

Time seemed to slow as our eyes locked, the weight of the truth settling over me like a suffocating blanket.

"H-hael?" My voice trembled, "W-w-what are y-you doing?" I managed to whisper.

He smiled at me, then stepped towards me. Panic clawed at my throat and I took out the gemstone necklace, pouring the little mana I had into it to attack his heart.

But nothing happened.

Hael laughed, "That little toy of yours won't work anymore."

I attempted to retreat, but an invisible force held me in place, rendering my attempts at escape futile.

What!!?? What is this??! Why can't I move?!?! It was as if an unseen hand had shackled me.

Like magic. Magic that denied me control over my own movements.

But whose magic?! Hael isn't a magician!? I looked back at him and noticed his cloak.

The realization of my helplessness intensified the terror coursing through my veins. That cloak... It's the cloak the magicians of the magic tower wear. But, only highly skilled magicians are allowed to wear that.

My pupils shaked.

When did Hael...?

Hael's steps echoed ominously in the stillness as he approached, a sinister smile playing on his lips. The candlelight flickered, casting eerie shadows that danced across his face, emphasizing the malevolence in his expression.

"Happy Birthday My Lady," He stopped right in front of me.

"What...?"

"This is your birthday present," He said, the words cutting through the silence like a chilling wind. "You told me to give you a good present." His eyes looked clouded, "I chose to give you the best one."

I strained against the invisible restraint, desperation etched across my face. Fear and confusion mingled with disbelief. My eyes darted everywhere and I found the dead body of my brother as well, "By killing everyone?"

He smiled, "Don't worry, I'll kill you too. All of you can be together in hell."

"B-but Hael," I tried my best to keep my eyes on him, "I love you," I gulped, "You can't do this to me. I love you so much."

Hael circled me slowly, reveling in the power he held over my paralyzed form, "Yes," His mood turned off, "You love me," I could feel the weight of his gaze, and that was probably the only moment in the past six years where I saw the depths of his hatred.

The invisible force that held me captive intensified, my limbs feeling like lead, leaving me utterly defenseless, "Hael!!" My voice came out stronger, "

His gaze locked onto mine and he let me loose, "You love me?"

I nodded at him in a frenzy, "I love you,"

He passed me a disgusted smirk, "But I don't love you,"

Huh???

With a swift, merciless motion of his hand, the invisible force crushed my body, severing the final thread of my existence. The world blurred, and the darkness claimed me