Chapter 108: Buried on Sunday

"T-That was the end..."

"O-Of Solomon Grundy."

"Solomon Grundy? Is that your name?" Superman asked, confused

"Solomon Grundy? Is that your name?" Superman asked, confused. He gestured out with one arm, separating them both. "Listen here, Grundy. I don't know who you are, or what's going on down here, but I'm giving you a chance to stop this here. You don't want this fight. I mean it." The Man of Steel's eyes shined with a red hue, and his expression hardened. First mutated bat people, an old man who could control blood, and now a goliath of a man? He was more used to armed thugs and the occasional android or two, not whatever insidious plot was unfurling out before him...

There was something very wrong about Grundy however, and it wasn't just one thing, but a whole menagerie of issues. A foul stench dripped from his enormous body, a dreadful repellent that reeked of death and rot. What clothes he did wear were ripped and torn, barely holding back his bulging pale muscles. There was an absence behind his two ghostly eyes, and his jaw sat slacked and unmoving. It was like there wasn't even a person standing opposite him, rather it was more like a monstrous marionette pulled forward by strings.

Behind Grundy was an enormous black tunnel that stretched on for miles. It was so far that even Clark himself found it hard to see much after a certain extent. Deacon Blackfire was nowhere to be found, and the third smaller person who he had spied earlier had disappeared too. There was no doubt in his mind that they had used the underground complex of hidden systems to escape, it was the only real answer. Though, considering they had been bound together with both Lois and Jimmy, his intentions for them most certainly weren't noble.

He thought back to Blackfire's speech.

Scarlet sky, an evil monarch, the sacrifice, and a ceremony...

He has remained in bondage for far too long.

It was crazy, it had to be, all of it, just some cult spouting their nonsense, but, what if there was some truth to it? The scarlet sky was real, everyone saw it months earlier, and there was no clear scientific explanation for the phenomena. Correlation didn't mean causation, and it could have just been some coincidence. However, whether it was real or not, that wasn't the main concern here. To these deranged cultists it sure appeared real enough. A sacrifice, and a ceremony, only meant one thing, they planned to murder someone in order to fulfil their religious mission.

Even if their evil monarch was real, or just some imaginary hoax, a person's life was on the line, and a teen's from the initial look he had gotten before...

He wasn't just going to sit back and let an innocent person die for some psycho cult.

"S-Superman, that thing's not human!" Lois shouted from the side, her hands still bound together. Jimmy murmured something along a similar line, but it was unintelligible while constrained beneath the gag. Clark steeled himself, realising he wasn't going to get an answer from the undead creature before him. Grundy tilted his head from side to side, a heavy snap of joints and bones that hadn't been moved in years responding back. He stretched his enormous fingers, and fit them into a meaty fist. His eyes remained droopy, but suddenly, they shot up at the Man of Steel, locking onto his figure...