Chapter 109: The City of Tomorrow

"Right, one last time." [Y/N] muttered to himself, his once nicely pressed shirt now dirtied and torn from the strain of battle, barely clinging onto his frame, dark red staining the bone white material. Grundy stood opposite him breaking free from the ice prison that Clark had quickly ensnared him in to slow him down for only a few moments. Large cold chunks exploded out, snapping and cracking into the zombie's strength, his fingers tearing through with no trouble. All the wounds that he had once inflicted were practically gone, or slowly sewing themselves back together. However, his grey pale skin was infected with a cold chill that refused to leave him so easily, making his movements noticeably more sluggish. At least he had some sort of advantage, as small as it was...

The undead wasn't necessarily what he had envisioned himself fighting today, how was it even possible? Did someone hold the capability to raise bodies from their graves, far stronger and even more durable than they most likely ever were? [Y/N] wasn't naïve to the terrifying things science could do, having been a product of it himself, but this felt different. A death cult he didn't even know existed up until this point, with a system of hidden tunnels underneath one of the largest cities in the entire US. Blood lined the walls and floors like some grizzly abattoir, he didn't even want to think about how many people died to fill it all. The sheer smell assaulted him constantly, surrounded by death. Yet, death wasn't something he was a stranger to. No, rather he was well acquainted with the cruel mistress, perhaps more so than any other person this side of the planet.

A sacrifice was a new one, he hadn't dealt with that before. A sacrifice to who? Zombies and weird freak bat people, monsters and demons from the look of it, his sort of crowd.

The floor trembled once again, brick and stone collapsing into some oblivion-like trench below them, a bottomless hole with no end in sight. Stalactites crashed down, hailing them with a constant barrage of debris. More and more sunlight was funnelling into the underground structure as the road deteriorated rapidly, a car's front end just peaking through. [Y/N] already knew this was going to be a nightmare to explain to Reyes, especially after he had promised to remain on his best behaviour after the mess in Kansas...

However, if the whole city was going to come down upon them anyway there wasn't much more he could do besides what he did best, and that was destroying whatever stood before him. He questioned whether he should use his Doomsday form one last time. It was a tempting offer, but he still had some fight left in him before the extreme path was needed.

Grundy finally tore himself free from the last piece of the freezing prison he had been held in, and he didn't look happy, shrugging off the frost that had built upon his shoulders and head. His fingers twitched with feeling suddenly returning back to them, but it wasn't like warm blood was flowing through his body, he was already icy cold like the moving corpse he really was...

He threw his arms out wide and raised his head up, bellowing out a vengeful cry that echoed around the collapsing chamber. "SOLOMON GRUNDY! BORN ON A MONDAY!" The zombie roared, repeating the old nursery rhyme one last time, a strange conviction behind his trembling voice.

[Y/N] held his arm out, ready to bolt forward given a moment's notice. His gauntlet let out a soft hum, the golden colour glowing brighter than ever, giving him the resolve he needed to continue fighting onwards. The individual solid plates locking into place, readjusting to his physique like a living creature, each of his fingers elongated out into sharp talons glinting in the dim cavern.

Grundy balled his hands into fists, and with every ounce of strength he had left, the undead dug them into the floor below, sending a violent tremor through the already unstable structure. [Y/N] struggled to maintain his footing as large sections of the brick crunched in on each other, while others tore apart, splitting more crevices in the ground. He had to take him on here and now before there wasn't a place to fight any longer...