𝐈𝐈𝐈. the hunt

[ chapter three  . . .  the hunt ]

VERENA'S NERVES WERE DEFINITELY ON THE HIGHER SIDE at the moment. She didnt know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast and that made her mind and body freeze in fear.

She noticed Percy close his eyes. What was he thinking?

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

He opened his eyes and kept shuffling forward. "Its my shoulder," Percy lied, trying to sound miserable, which wasnt hard. "It burns. "

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herded them outside. Thorn inarched them into the woods. We took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. Verena was on high alert whilst feeling like a human icicle

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride. "

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Dont talk to my sister that way. " Nico said. His voice quivered, but Verena was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasnt human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of Verena's neck, but she forced herself to keep walking and pretend to be a good little captive.

"Halt," Thorn said.

The woods had opened up. They'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. Verena could hear the waves churning but all she could see was mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushed them toward the edge. Percy stumbled, and Verena caught him.

"Thanks," He murmured.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?"

"I... Im working on it." Percy said.

"Im scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

They turned.

Thorns two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first Verena thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver. "

There was a garbled reply, and Verena realized Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

Dr. Thorn laughed. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump!There is the sea. Save yourself. "

"What did he call you?" Bianca muttered.

"I'll explain later," Percy said.

"You do have a plan, right?" Bianca turned to face Verena when she got no answer.

"I—" the blonde stumbled on her words.

Dr. Thorn said. "You do not realize who I am, do you?"