CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 39 - THE SALVATORE MEN

I stared at myself in a full length mirror, taking in my reflection. My hair was perfectly curled, my makeup was done just the way I liked it, and my face was full of nervous excitement.

I touched the black dress I was wearing, running my fingers along the soft fabric as I admired the way it hugged my curves and how flattering it looked on me.

Wow. I breathed out. I had never felt so beautiful before.

Theo really put a lot of thought in choosing this stunning dress for me. It was amazing how he managed to find something that fit me perfectly. The details, the material, and the fit. It's like he knows exactly what looks good on me.

What if he was really paying attention to me and picked up on all, even the little details, about me? The blueberries, the flowers and books, and how he noticed I had lost a lot of weight.

All this time, I thought I was so pitiful and unnoticed, but in reality he was watching me all along.

These thoughts made me feel so special and, for the first time, cherished by him.

I smiled at the glowing woman staring back at me in the mirror. I felt my cheeks flush and my heart swell with pure happiness. This was the moment I knew he truly cared and treasured me.

But then my smile faded when I remembered Selena's words.

"Their number one trait is to be deceptive and manipulative."

"Theo is obviously preying on your emotions."

Stop it, Lia! I shouted internally at myself. This won't do me any good.

I shook off the uneasy feeling and focused on the Don's birthday celebration instead. It will be fun, that's for sure. So instead of worrying about anything else, I should concentrate and put all my energy into the performance I would do for the Don.

Yes, that's what I should do. I should focus on my performance and make sure it's perfect. I want the Don to have an unforgettable birthday celebration, one that he will remember for years to come.

I prepared and practiced Chopin's pieces for this event. I remember the Don always told me his favorite composer was Chopin, so I figured it would be a fitting treat to his birthday.

I decided I would play Fantaisie-Impromptu and of course the Nocturne-- two of the most beloved pieces by pianists almost everywhere and I wasn't an exemption.

With these, I hope to make the party even more enjoyable and memorable.

I straightened my back and readied myself to go downstairs.

I wondered if Theo had arrived already. I was excited for him to see me perform again and admire the look on his face--like when he attended my recital.

Also, I was really looking forward to seeing him today.

Just seeing him was enough for me.

Enough to make my day.

* * * * * *

"Amelia!" Beatrice rushed to meet me at the ballroom entrance. She was wearing a sparkly blue dress that shimmered in the light, and her dark hair was pulled back in a tight bun. "You look so beautiful!" She gushed with a huge smile on her face.

I thanked her for her compliment and responded, "You look gorgeous as always, Beatrice. That is a really lovely dress."

"Not as lovely as yours. I heard a certain boss went all out just to get you that rare dress. A mafia hunting for a dress? I almost couldn't believe it!" Beatrice laughed.