CHAPTER 36

CHAPTER 36 - GOODBYE

"So, how does it feel like being married not just to a mafia, but to the boss?" Beatrice asked as she sat beside me.

After Theo left, Lukas followed him to only God knows where. Leaving me alone with Beatrice and her thought-provoking question that I didn't know how to respond to.

So. Where do I begin answering this question?

Oh did you know I wasn't supposed to be married to Theo? But for some unknown reason, he claimed the role of being my husband and now put me in the position of having to make some very difficult decisions about our relationship.

Also, out of nowhere, he laid down an offer for my so-called freedom from him without any warnings or further discussion. Which only brought confusion and chaos to my mind! I had no idea how to make sense of the situation or even handle it.

I mean, why now? Why after a year?

Was there something so significant about it? Something drastic changed to make them do this now?

Is the Don and the family even aware of his plans?

But of course I couldn't just voice my concerns to her--especially when the topic was about someone she looks up to.

So instead, I answered honestly but vaguely, "It was challenging."

"Oh I can't imagine what you're going through right now. Yeah, Theo is my absolute favorite cousin--no doubt about that, but he was actually the hardest person to read. I mean, it was really difficult to know what he was thinking or feeling. I guess because he is the intelligent type? He was always so guarded and private--like he never wanted to let anyone in. Also, his emotions were constantly hidden and pretty tough to decipher."

The way Beatrice described Theo was so spot on. He was really like that--cold and reserved, and shockingly, not just for me. All this time, I thought he was indifferent because of this arranged marriage, and obviously because he already had someone else before I came into the picture.

But Beatrice's words gave me a sense of enlightenment; it made me realize that this was just Theo's personality. He wasn't intentionally cold or uninterested to me, he was just being himself.

But then, how certain am I that he treats everyone like this? Of course someone would be an exemption, right?

Not me, that's for sure.

"You know, we were so convinced he wouldn't settle down. He was so firm on that. He said it would only interfere with his future plans. So imagine how shocked we were when the Don announced that Theo had finally changed his mind. He would marry but on one condition, he specifically wanted the Astoria bride-you. And no one knows why." Beatrice sips her wine and continues. "Of course the Don just agreed without asking further questions. Why would he when his heir finally agreed to marry, right? But everything was according to Theo's wishes. Even the wedding privacy and how it should be kept for the family only."

Like Lukas, Beatrice said the same thing. And hearing it again from the same family member made me wonder what or who had changed Theo's mind.

And why only me?

He was keen on marrying me before, but now, with just one word from me, he was ready to let go.

Was I just a pawn in his game? Was I just a tool for him to use and discard at his whim?

The thought filled me with a deep sense of annoyance and frustration.

Was I just an experiment? Or maybe an instrument to make Penelope jealous?