"I know you must have a lot on your plate, especially with the production beginning tomorrow."

Yes, the production, among other things. Eren pictures Levi at the mention of his current stresses.

"However, your assignment is still due. This Friday I have some spare time after school. Can you stay back after class to complete the outstanding work?"

Eren has to resist the impulse to say no right away. Of course, he doesn't want to stay back after school. He's a high schooler who will most likely have a lover by then (if all goes well tomorrow night with Levi). What kind of man will Levi think he is if he's called to stay overtime due to failing an assignment? But then again, Levi would probably tell him to suck it up and put his head down to get the work done.

'Actually... He would have told me to do it right in the beginning so it wouldn't have ended up like this...'

"Sure. Friday works for me," Eren sighs in defeat. Petra tells him to sit down with the others as the next student takes their place to deliver their monologue. Eren mutters bitterly to himself as he eyes the script the student hands over to the teacher. It was just a piece of paper. A piece of paper that could pass or fail him... How did he forget something as crucial as that? With his thoughts spiralling all over the place lately, it isn't surprising that fine details such as scriptwriting were completely wiped from his mind. It's only devastating for Eren since theatre is his main passion.

"Damn... I really blew it..."

***

"Eren, please stop moping around and help out over here!" Jean calls from across the stage in frustration. It's their final rehearsal before tomorrow's big performance. This will be the last opportunity for them to iron out anything they're struggling with, whether it be lines, stage directions, blocking, everything has to be perfect before morning. Once this afternoon concludes, no one will be setting foot into the auditorium until tomorrow afternoon and the chance for last-minute changes would be lost. It was today or nothing. Frantically students are revisiting their lines and getting feedback from one another to be show-ready.

Jean has been busily readying the stage, moving the piano into the far corner and adjusting the props, and has been struggling to undo the golden knots keeping the curtains contained for a good five minutes now. He tried catching the attention of some of his peers but noticed they were all preoccupied with other important tasks. When he saw Eren standing immobile in the corner twiddling his thumbs Jean could not prevent the irritation from dripping through his words. It only increases when he realises Eren has flat-out ignored his request.

"Oi! Jaeger! Wakey wakey, you asshole!" Jean throws a pencil at Eren's head, hitting the boy directly in the forehead. Eren yelps and rubs the sore spot, looking around confused as if he just woke up from a deep slumber.

"That hurt..."

"Finally, you vacant fuck! Get over here!" Jean scolds and Eren sheepishly makes his way to Jean's side, head down and muttering incoherent things. The only thing Jean manages to pick up is a statement that violence is never the answer. Jean rolls his eyes and points towards the tight knot keeping the curtains tied up. "Pull the left string and I'll unwind the right one."

"Geez, you're so demanding today."

"Wouldn't have to be if you stopped running away to dreamland," Jean scoffs. He expects Eren to bite back, and show off some of that feisty nature he boasts about. He is surprised when Eren offers a small apology, agreeing he hasn't quite been himself for most of the day.