Г л а в а 12

(TW: Trauma)

(TW: Trauma)

It was late into the night. Senku and I were in the hut, and I instinctively put distance between us. This conversation is going to be tough, and I'd rather not feel cornered while having it.

The scientist had his arms crossed, looking more serious than I've ever seen him. "Your reaction and body language from our conversation earlier today, indicated you were uncomfortable and nervous. Kiera, have you killed anyone before?"

I swallowed, closing my eyes. "Yes. Multiple."

"Intentionally or unintentionally?"

"Both."

"... Did you want to do it?" His eyes were dark.

"Fuck no! The unintentional part comes with the job of being a hero; civilians get caught up in our conflicts, plus we can't save everyone. The intentional? I was forced by Hydra."

He suddenly looked relieved. "That's the organization that kidnapped you. They put that brand on your shoulder?"

"Yeah, it's their symbol."

"Who are they exactly?"

"A fucked up organization that was brought about around WWII. They were an extension of the Nazi party in Germany. They were like, the scientific branch of it. I don't know many details, I just know they're not good news."

"What did they do to you, Star?" His voice was quiet.

"I'm not gonna show you. Please, don't make me show you."

"You don't have to, but you can talk to me about it. If we're gonna ten billion percent trust each other, I think it's time you opened up and laid it all out on the table."

I let out a long breath, taking a seat on the floor. "Alright... Fine."

Time to dig up some old, painful memories.

"Remember that guy with the metal arm I fought in the memory I showed you?"

Senku nodded.

"Well he was like me, a victim of Hydra. Not sure where he came from or how long he had been with them, but he and I were the only successful experiments that took to the super soldier serum with zero issues."

"There were others?"

"Yes. But they were failures. The serum not only enhances physical attributes, but it has an effect on your mentality as well. For example, if you're someone who is good and just, the serum will bring out those best qualities in you. Take someone who is cocky, egotistical and malicious, the serum makes them mentally unstable; they become full of blood lust. That's what happened with the failures. Hydra scientists wanted to produce more of me and The Asset, but they chose the wrong subjects. They should've done mental assessments, but all they cared about were the physical side of things. The Asset and I had to fight them, and then I was forced to kill them because they went insane and started murdering scientists with their bare hands."