Taking a moment to compose myself, I sighed. The rhythmic drumming of my headache intensified, keeping pace with my racing thoughts. I couldn't let this disrupt the day entirely. I squared my shoulders and ventured back into the kitchen.

"I could use some help with the fence this morning before you go." Bash is now awake and talking to Gilbert.

"Can't. Miss Stacy is expecting me early." Gilbert replies curtly. "I can't believe I could actually be in college next year!"

"Wait, what do you mean next year?" Bash asks, concern in his voice. I stop in the hallway and eavesdrop.

"Well, I told you last night, I'm accelerating my studies." Gilbert says.

"Yeah, but leaving next year, that was never the plan!"

"I have a chance, finally, to get something that I want." He argues. "Why wouldn't I take it?"

"I came here so we could work this land together for two years until it comes back to life, and I've learned farming and then you'll go."

"The plan's changed." I furrow my brows at Gilbert's shortness with Bash. "This is my future."

"Your future. What about mine?" Bash raises his voice. "You don't even consult me? I thought we were in this together."

"We are." Gilbert assures him, or tries to at least.

"I don't know what I'm doing, Blythe, this is a farm, not a ship!"

"You have plenty of time to get up to speed."

"While I'm here alone and you're at school every minute?"

"We can get you help."

"Nobody wants to know me, let alone work for me. How do I do all this by myself?"

"You'll figure it out! I gotta go." Gilbert finally snaps before I hear the door slam.

I hear Bash let out a grunt of frustration. I step out of hiding and into the kitchen. "Morning, Bash." I mumble awkwardly.

Bash's frustration lingered in the air as he looked at me with a mix of disappointment and uncertainty. "Morning, Ada," he replied, his voice carrying the weight of the conversation he'd just had with Gilbert.

I attempted to bridge the gap with a feeble smile. "Is there anything I can help you with this morning?" The offer was sincere, an attempt to soften the atmosphere that had thickened between Gilbert and Bash. "I used to run a farm with my father and brother. I know a thing or two about managing a farm. If you want, I can help you get things in order."

His eyes widened in surprise, and a flicker of hope appeared in his expression. "You ran a farm?"

I nodded. "It was a different setting, but the basics are similar. I can assist you, Bash."

A mix of gratitude and relief softened Bash's features. "Ada, I don't know what to say. Thank you. I'd appreciate any help you can offer."

"Consider it done," I assured him. "I'll do my best to make sure everything runs smoothly here. Gilbert may have his studies, but we'll make sure the farm thrives."

Bash smiled, and for a moment, the weight seemed to lift from his shoulders. "Can you help me mount a horse? I'll drop you off at the schoolhouse since your escort deserted you."

My heart sinks when I realize that Gilbert did leave me to walk alone. I nod in agreement. "Of course, Bash," I replied with a determined smile, ready to assist him with mounting the horse. We walked towards the stable, and he pointed out the horse he intended to ride.