Anne gasps as she gazes fondly at Miss Stacy. "Those would be my descriptors if we had the same initials."

"Let's start with—"

"It's like we were separated at birth." Anne cuts her off.

Miss Stacy clears her throat. "Ruby Gillis."

Ruby stands and thinks for a moment. "Romantic... girl?" She says making us all snicker. "Ruby Gillis."

"Well done!" Miss Stacy applauds.

"Ruby has a crush on—"

"Gilbert Blythe!" Miss Stacy says, cutting off Anne now.

Gilbert sighs as he stands to his feet. "Global...and bookish."

"Everyone thinks he's the smartest student." Anne tells Miss Stacy.

"Adelaide Smith." My eyes widen as the words leave her mouth.

I slowly stand to my feet as everyone whispers. Why is my name being brought up more here lately. "I prefer, Ada, Miss Stacy." I smile firmly and she nods. I take in a deep breath as I try to think of the right word. I think back to the spelling bee and snicker as I say, "Alluring." The corners of Gilbert's mouth twitches up. "Sarcastic. Ada Smith."

"She and Gilbert live together. They're not related or married though." Anne says making my face turn a dark red as Gilbert and I exchange an awkward glance.

"Priscilla Andrews." Miss Stacy says, ignoring Anne once more.

"Pragmatic...Actualised." Prissy smiles.

"She left our former teacher at the altar."

"Perhaps you'd like to share your comment with the class?" Miss Stacy snaps.

"Oh, well, it's no secret that Prissy was affianced to our former teacher but justifiably fled the wedding." Anne speaks up making Prissy very uncomfortable. "I'd be happy to fill you in about everyone in Avonlea because I was an outsider once, too, and I know how hard—"

"No need to provide me with gossip, I don't condone it." Miss Stacy dismisses her.

"Oh, but nothing I said is a secret."

"If someone needs me to know something, they'll tell me." Miss Stacy looks back to her paper. "Why don't you take your turn? What's your name?"

"Anne... Anne Shirley-Cuthbert." Anne stands to her feet. I don't think I've ever been this mad at her before."A-" Everyone murmurs as she stumbles over her words.

"I'm sure you'll think of some later. Why don't you see me after class?" Miss Stacy says making Anne sit down.

***

"So, I'm hoping you wouldn't mind tutoring me?" School is over with now and Gilbert is talking to Miss Stacy. "I'm worried that I'm behind, and I'm very serious about medicine as my vocation."

"My husband accelerated his studies and got early entrance into college." Miss Stacy smiles.

"Husband?" I look over at Anne. Miss Stacy proceeds to tell her that she is recently widowed. "Oh. How tragical." Anne sighs making me give her a scolding look.

"Anyway, with hard work it's possible you could finish school early and be pre-med next year." Miss Stacy tells Gilbert.

"I'll do whatever it takes!" Gilbert beams.

"Let's meet before class in the mornings and get you started."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Gilbert clasps his hands together, thanking her.

Miss Stacy looks to me expectingly. "And what about you, Adelaide? Would you like to accelerate your studies?"

"Oh um.." I think for a moment and it's at this moment I realized that I don't know what career I'd like to pursue. "Can I come back to you on that?"

"Of course." She smiles. "There is no pressure."

I nod and thank her before heading outside with Gilbert.

"Miss Stacy is absolutely fantastic. Don't you agree?" Gilbert is practically bouncing as we walk home.

I nod. "Yes she seems-"

He cuts me off. "Ada, I could be in college by next year," Gilbert says with contagious excitement, his eyes sparkling with the prospect of an accelerated path toward his medical aspirations.

"That's incredible, Gilbert!" I respond, matching his enthusiasm. "Miss Stacy is truly remarkable for offering this opportunity. I'm thrilled for you."

He nods, his stride carrying a newfound energy. "It's a chance to make a real difference, to start studying what I'm passionate about. And it means I can pursue my goals sooner."

As we continue our walk home, Gilbert's mind is undoubtedly racing with plans and possibilities. I can't help but feel a twinge of admiration for his dedication and drive. However, a quiet thought lingers – while he's found a clear path for himself, I'm left contemplating my own direction. My mind remains occupied by the question Miss Stacy posed earlier. What do I want to pursue?

"What about you, Ada?" he asks, a mix of curiosity and concern in his voice. "Will you consider accelerating your studies too?"

I pause, the weight of the decision settling on my shoulders. "I honestly don't know yet, Gilbert. I need to figure out what I'm truly passionate about and what path I want to take."

He nods understandingly, a supportive smile on his face. "Take your time, Ada. Whatever you choose, I'll be here to support you every step of the way."

"Thank you, Gilbert."