My fingers trace the edge of the seat as I consider the question. "I think I'd want a celebration that captures the essence of our journey together, filled with warmth and laughter. Perhaps a touch of tradition, blending our backgrounds."

Gilbert smiles, the sunlight filtering through the snow covered leaves casting a soft glow on his features. "Sounds perfect."

The carriage approaches the venue, our shared daydreams linger in the air, creating a sense of anticipation and shared visions for the future.

The carriage comes to a gentle stop, and as we step out onto the path leading to the wedding venue, the excitement in the air is palpable.

Diana and Anne are among the first to spot us, their faces lighting up with welcoming smiles. "Ada!" Anne calls, waving enthusiastically. Diana joins in, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"I'll catch up with you later." Gilbert smile, looking me up and down one last time before heading inside.

Anne envelops me in a warm hug, and Diana follows suit. "You look positively radiant, Ada!" Anne exclaims, stepping back to take in the sight of my dress.

Diana nods in agreement. "Indeed! Your dress is exquisite. You've outdone yourself."

Blushing at their compliments, I offer a grateful smile. "Thank you both. Your dresses are stunning as well."

Anne gestures toward a cluster of seats. "Come, Ada. Sit with us. We saved a spot just for you."

We settle into our seats and I turn to the girls. "How is Prissy? Have you seen her yet?"

"She was practically glowing this morning." Diana smiles. My aunt Eliza beckons her over, she gives us a sad look before going to sit with her parents and Minnie May.

"I can't believe she'll be leaving us." I sigh, talking to Anne. "I never pictured this life for Prissy."

"Her future isn't up to us, Ada. It's up to her."

The band starts playing, signaling that the wedding is beginning. Prissy and her father step into view and everyone stands. Her gown is gorgeous, she is gorgeous. Diana was right. She is glowing. Her eyes dart around the room as she smiles at everyone. I smile as she walks past and my eyes fall on Gilbert. He gazes at me in a way I have never seen before. I smile as he examines me. It's like he's caught in a trance.

Prissy makes it to the end of the aisle. She stands before her soon to be husband. He unveils her and they gaze at one another for a moment. Everything was perfect until Prissy's face contorted into something that showed discomfort. Her eyes darted around the room once more, but this time she was looking for a way out. Mr. Phillips tries to get her to snap out of it but she just drops her bouquet and runs out of the church. All of us girls exchange a look before going out after her.

I pick up my dress as we chase her through the snow, calling out to her. She slows her pace down and she falls into the snow. We gather around her and help her to her feet.

"Prissy? Are you okay?" I ask gently.

I expect to see tears when she looks at me but I see none. She just laughs. She's practically beaming with glee. Prissy's unexpected change in demeanor leaves all of us in bewilderment. As she laughs and dances in the snow, her carefree spirit replaces the tense atmosphere that hung in the air just moments ago.

Confusion etches my face, and I exchange glances with the other girls, unsure of what has transpired. "Prissy, what happened in there?" Anne questions, concern evident in her voice.

Prissy twirls around, her laughter infectious. "Oh, you won't believe it! I just couldn't go through with it. I thought I could, but standing there, I realized I couldn't marry Mr. Phillips."

The revelation is met with a mixture of surprise and relief from our group. Prissy continues to dance and play in the snow, and her joy is contagious. The tension that had gripped us moments ago dissolves into shared laughter and camaraderie.

As she hurls a snowball at Jane, the frosty missile connects with a playful thud, and we all join in the spontaneous snowball fight. Laughter echoes through the snowy landscape as we celebrate Prissy's newfound freedom and the unexpected turn of events.

***

The carriage jostles along the snowy path, and the rhythmic clatter of hooves against the hardened ground provides a backdrop to the quiet conversation between Gilbert and me. The unexpected twist in Prissy's wedding still lingers in the air, and I can't help but ponder the implications.

"Well, that was quite the wedding," Gilbert remarks, breaking the silence with a small smile. "I don't think anyone saw that coming."

I nod, a thoughtful expression on my face. "It's strange how things unfold. One moment, everything seems set, and the next, it's all different."

"Life's unpredictable that way," Gilbert agrees, his gaze wandering to the passing scenery. "Sometimes, the path we think we're on takes an unexpected turn."

"Speaking of unexpected turns of events," I start, the carriage providing a cocoon of privacy as the snowy landscape unfolds beyond the windows. "There's something I need to tell you, Gilbert."

He turns his attention to me, his eyes expressing both curiosity and concern. "What is it, Ada?"

A deep breath steadies my nerves as I begin, "On my birthday, Aunt Josephine shared something with me – a trust my mother left for me. It turns out, if I complete finishing school in Paris, I'll receive enough money to buy back my childhood home."

Gilbert's brow furrows, a mix of surprise and contemplation in his eyes. "Finishing school in Paris? Why's it always Paris?" He mumbles. "That's quite unexpected. But, Ada, what about us- What about..."

I nod, understanding the unspoken concern. "I know, Gilbert. It's a difficult decision, and the timing couldn't be more complicated. But this trust, it's a chance to reclaim a piece of me. A piece of my mother. It's also an opportunity to be with my father and brother again. Daphne told me that it would be great exposure for me." I can see that this is a lot for him. "I don't have to leave for another year or two though."

He sighs, his gaze drifting to the passing scenery. "It's a lot to take in, especially with everything going on. But if it's what you need to do, I'll support you, Ada."

A soft smile plays on my lips as I reach for his hand. "Thank you, Gilbert. Having your support by makes facing these uncertainties a little easier." He smiles kindly in return.