chapter forty

Chapter Forty - Hashing it Out

Henry finally woke Regina after Zelena had knocked her out, the woman placed a kiss on Henry's forehead, breaking the curse. 

"Holy shit," Ophelia exclaimed. "It wasn't me. It was you." She turned to her hugging parents. "Do you remember?" They nodded. "How did Zelena cast the curse?"

"She didn't, Ophelia. We did," Mary Margaret revealed. 

Ophelia frowned, "You cursed yourselves? Why?"

Mary Margaret smiled, "Zelena's weakness is light magic. I mean, it's clear now, more than ever. You are the only one who can defeat her."

"That's why we paid the price of Regina's curse, to find you and Emma," David elaborated. 

Ophelia shook her head, "The price of the curse is the heart of the thing you love most. If one of you cast it, how are you both still here?"

And the answer was splitting Snow White's heart in half so they could both live. 

"That's fucking wild," Ophelia commented. "I can't imagine loving someone enough that my heart keeps us both alive."

"Can you not?" Snow asked, her eyes glancing from the woman to her twin, Regina and her nephew. "Because I think you have more love to give than any of us."

And she wasn't wrong. Ophelia felt deeply, deeper than anyone who knew her. She loved with her entire heart and felt with every cell in her body. She felt everything. And sometimes that felt amazing, like when she first met Henry in the prison hospital. Then other times it was horrible, like the seconds following her first meeting with Henry when they told her she had to hand him over for the adoption process. She wished she could go back and adopt him herself but that would have been no life for a child.

Because she loved. Hard. And seeing the people she loved suffer hurt her more than she would ever tell them. She tried to pretend like things didn't bother her, she did but sometimes the cracks began to show. David had seen those cracks and that worried him. His daughter was strong but he hated how she felt like she always had to be okay. 

He was watching her carefully, knowing that what Snow said was true. Ophelia was an empath. And he knew what Zelena said about Hook was eating away at her at that moment. 

She stared for a second, suddenly embarrassed by the attention on her, "I think that you are wrong and that we should change the subject."

Everyone split off, giving Ophelia the perfect opportunity to confront Hook. 

"Are you gonna tell me what Zelena was talking about? She said you failed her," she exclaimed. 

"Don't listen to her."

She didn't stop, "Killian, what's going on? Were you working for her?"

"The witch tried to back me into a corner. I did everything I could to resist her plans," he explained.