chapter nineteen

Chapter Nineteen - Confessions

Ophelia had a permanent face of disgust as she batted away leaves. She was behind Regina. Emma behind her with Mary Margaret. David was ahead of them with Hook.  

"Your sister was wrong," Regina spoke up. 

"What?" 

"You're not annoying. Well, not most of the time. You help a lot more than you give yourself credit for," she comforted. 

Ophelia sent her a genuine smile, "Thanks, Regina. You're not the villain, actually, you're pretty nice."

"The ridge is just a few hundred paces up ahead," Hook informed. 

"You really think we're gonna be able to see Pan's hideout?" Emma called from behind. 

"From there, we should be able to see everything, including where he's keeping your son," he assured. 

"You know, I could have just poofed us up here in an instant," Regina voiced. 

"Where? Have you any idea what's up here or anywhere?" Hook challenged. "There are dangers all about. Only I can guide us past them."

Ophelia batted another branch away from her, "He's right. Hook's lived here before. If he says hiking up is the best way, then we listen."

Hook grabbed David's arms as he went to slash some thorns, "No."

"I can handle a couple of thorns," David retorted. 

"That's Dreamshade. It's not the thorns you have to worry about. It's the poison they inject you with. This plant is the source of the toxins I used on The Dark One," he explained. 

Ophelia walked to get a better look at the plant, "The poison that almost killed Gold?"

"Indeed. I used a concentrated dose. In its natural form, death would be much slower and far more painful. I suggest we go this way."

David disagreed, pointing in a different direction.

"Morbid. Especially for something with such a nice name. You'd think they'd call it like... nightmare shade or something better than that," Ophelia rambled. "I'll think on that one."

"Probably a good idea. Your father's a distrustful fellow," Hook pointed out.

"He's just not used to working with the bad guys." She lifted her hands, making quotation marks around the last part. 

"I can assure you, on this island, I am not the bad guy."

"Yeah, well, Pan's not supposed to be one either," Ophelia informed. 

"What possibly gave you that idea?" Hook sought. 

"Every story I ever heard as a child. Plus there are the movies. Countless of them."