Chapter 73: Broken Heart of Gold

Fundamens (Month 1) 27, 1616 Central Calendar, 22:45

Eyes of the Order, Holy Milishial Empire

A small alarm clock on the table set to ring every fifteen minutes rang for the third time in this hour, making Princess Lugiel, the unmasked persona of Magister Sorath the Illuminator of the Eyes, look up from the paperwork she's been working on. After picking up the small device to silence it, she then turned to glance over her shoulder and called out to the man working behind her with a warm voice despite the tired rasp at its edge.

"That's enough for your duties tonight, Illustrator. Head home, get some rest."

Even though Lugiel couldn't fully see his face, she felt the man offer her a weary smile as he replied. "You seem to need the same degree of rest, don't you say, Magister?"

"I'm almost finished. I can handle a few more paperwork."

The man craned his head to look at the remaining bundle on Lugiel's desk and sighed, but there was no resistance in it.

"...Very well. Please always take care of yourself, Magister."

"Be careful on your way home."

Gathering his belongings at her words, the Illustrator bid farewell to the Princess with a bow before making his way out of the office room. Lugiel observed his departure with a sense of contentment gracing her ageless features. Serving as an aide to Magister Sorath, the devoted blonde-haired man's allegiance was as precious as any relic discovered by the Holy Empire. While the paperwork pile in front of her remained daunting, the office felt somewhat lighter now. Lugiel paused from her work for a moment and stretched her stiff back, the audible pops a reminder of the hours spent hunched over high-priority reports and documents that ended up finding their way to her desk.

For her own reasons, Lugiel would like a scene of solitude before deciding to try and make a call to the Person of Interest, a really interesting person she had just met face-to-face for the first time earlier during the day in order to satisfy her burgeoning curiosity. Besides, not only did Lugiel avoid overcomplicating the matters that she thought would arise once she contacted the boy, acknowledging the fatigue of her subordinate and urging him home reinforced the unspoken bond between a leader and subordinate. The gesture of kindness now doubled as a move to foster loyalty and trust... Lugiel reasoned within her mind.

With renewed focus, Lugiel sorted the remaining documents to spend the time. These tasks were forwarded to her immediately after the launch of the carrier Orphan Wolf Legend today after almost four years of construction at her birthplace on the Runepolis Magic Academy's gigantic shipbuilding facility. As the ship now occupied the fitting-out berth, the focus shifted to ensuring that adequate personnel would be available for its crew once commissioned. Most importantly, it was crucial that both of these MOASEC and Imperial Navy personnel who would be assigned to the carrier in its first role of training and research were also affiliated with the Order of the Ancients in order to smoothen the coordination. In this matter, Magister Sorath mainly coordinates with Eblis the Summoner and Mastema the Arbiter, another Magister who served as an Imperial Navy officer to direct the available human resources.

After Lugiel finished the last one, the Princess nodded lightly and turned to glance at the clock.

'It's almost time. Now... how should I approach this?' she thought as she took out a grimoire, different from the one she usually used.

Lugiel tapped a slender finger against her chin, contemplating the best excuse to initiate a contact with the Person of Interest. She closed her eyes briefly, mentally revisiting their encounter at the bookstore earlier that day. During their brief chat after that, the Person of Interest mentioned a trip to Leiden on this very same day, prompted by his pregnant mother nearing the estimated due date. The confirmation about this from Magister Enepsigos, who was attached to his family as a maid, further sealed the deal. Lugiel considered that using the excuse of offering congratulations on the impending arrival might not be too awkward and could serve as a genuine well-wishing, albeit with an underlying motive.